Network setup help needed
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
I am using my network to stream music through my home, controlling my media server via VNC. All works well except for one minor annoyance . . . .
the individual PC's have different IP addresses after rebooting.

Can anyone point me to info on how to set up my network so that eash PC has the same IP every time the system is rebooted? (I tried google, came up with everything else but).

TIA

ps: running Windows 2000 Pro, using Linsys router, Home Network

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 6
Turn off DHCP on the router and then on each PC go into the network properties for the connection, choose TCP/IP properties, and then specifiy a unique IP address for each computer. For example 192.168.1.100 for the first PC, 192.168.1.101 for the second, etc. For the subnet just make it 255.255.255.0

If you need clarification let me know.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 6
OK I know how to change the Router setting, but am unsure about the steps and settings in Windows. Is there a step-by-step instruction anywhere?

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Try this - before changing anything, on each computer, click Start > Run, and in the Run command, type CMD and press the enter key. That will open a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type "IPCONFIG /ALL" (minus the quotations). That will show you the current network configuration. Write down the IP address, Default Gateway address and DNS address(es). Then you can close the command prompt. Do that for all of your computers.

Back at the Windows desktop, right click on Network Neighborhood and choose Properties. In the window that pops up, click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, and then click the Properties button. On the General tab of the page that opens, change "Obtain an IP Address automatically" to "Use the following IP address". Fill in the boxes with the info you wrote down earlier. Do the same for the DNS entries at the bottom of the page, and click OK. Then click OK on the Local Area Connections Properties page.
Windows 2000 may require you to reboot. And again, do that for all of the computers.

By doing that, you shouldn't really need to turn off DHCP on the router, since all of your machines will hold the IP addresses you assign.

Hope that helps.
A_Sr.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Well that certainly sounds rather easy, particularly the wise advise to write it down.
I will give that a shot and let you know how I make out. Thanks

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 6
well that seems to have done the trick, thanks Absorbine_Sr
biggrin.gif

and thank you also howl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back