Netflixx or Blockbustas?
Feb 20, 2007 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
I now use Netflix. Netflix been solid for me for a few years. Turnaround time -- when I get a new disc in my hand -- is always the second USPS day after I send in a disc.

Should I switch to Blockbusters??? I live half a block away from a Blockbusters.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 18
if you like movies older than last year having a blockbuster down the street is really no benefit at all. (also if you rent HD-DVD/BRD, go with Netflix)

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 18
Waiting has no appeal IMO. I will always opt to go pick something out... something more nostalgic about browsing through rows of videos when in my indecision. I have a BB and Hollywood right next to each other and Comcast On Demand so I have no need to online ordering... personal preference of course.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 18
I use Blockbuster and I get twice as many movies for the same price. I get the three in the mail and then when I am done with them I take the sealed envelope to the store and they give me three new movies to rent as normal Blockbuster rentals and check my three movies in so my replacement movies will ship out to me the next morning. Most of the time I have 4-6 movies out at one time plus I get one free in store game rental per month. Blockbuster has all of the HD-DVD titles online so I get those for my mail DVDs and get new releases for free in the store. I can't understand why anybody still uses Netflix.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 18
I hate blockbuster... cant tell you how many times they would try and bill me for a late fee on various rental returns. It was annoying as hell having to dispute it with my credit card company every month. I would have to take date-stamped photos of my wife turning the rentals in. Never again.

Ive been using netflix for ~5 years no problems at all. They have a distribution hub 15 minutes down the street from me. I get DVDs the next day.

Blockbuster completely sucks IMHO, they have already con'd me enough.... they will never get another dime from me.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 18
I've had both. I have a block buster down the street from me and I still prefer netflix. Netflix is quicker. To be honest the whole point of services like that is so you don't have to go to the store for videos. So I honestly don't see the appeal of the blockbuster set up. I cancelled blockbuster and rejoined netflix.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm a lite user - 2 out plan. and recently switched to BB.

Netflix made me wait forever and ever for new HD releases. It was horrible. I waited like three weeks for clerks 2 and then quit.

BB has been very responsive, and although I loathe the vid store, the in-store rentals are useful for movies from non HD-DVD studios. Usually I get the new releases within 10 days, which is fast enough.

Also use the free game per month, which is a nice perk.

The Netflix interface is better. But for people who know what they want BB is fine.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 18
I use Netflix as a matter of principle. BB tried to charge us with late charge fees even though on the receipt they said that they shouldnt and in the end they charged my wifes credit card. We had them reported and they had to take the charges off.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 18
I use hollywood video, it's only 2 blocks away from my house. I tried using netflix, I can't stand waiting movie in the mail and the aggravation when I return one and it's lost/stolen.
I'm using gottaplay for game rental. The turnover is too slow and I'm cancelling it this month. It sucks to be in Northeast where else all rental seem to be on the west.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 18
Same like another poster here, I've used Netflix as a matter of principle. I've been them since the early days when they were advancing the concept of online rentals. I used to use blockbuster every once in awhile on those lazy weekends when the guys wanted to get a movie on short notice. But almost always, even though I returned movies on time, I would see there was a late charge next time I went in. I don't know if it was deliberate or that the people at the store are severely incompetent, I'm thinking probably the latter, judging by a few queries I put forward to the staff at some point or the other.

Of course blockbuster noticed netflix was taking a chunk of their profits, and they hopped onto the online bandwagon. I loathe blockbuster. Although that being said, I didn't like the stories I read a while back of Netflix throttling down movie deliveries to customers.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 18
I used Netflix for a little over a year and switched to Blockbuster on a 3 week free trial. To me, the services are hardly comparable. With Blockbuster you can return them to the store; not only is that more convenient, but you can rent movies twice as fast this way. This week I haven't had time to go to Blockbuster, and have been getting a new one in the mail every day (3 at a time plan), so the turnaround here is fast. And if that wasn't enough, Blockbuster gives me a free videogame rental once a month (or DVD if you choose).

To me, Netflix's only advantage is a better website

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Netflix for a little over a year and switched to Blockbuster on a 3 week free trial. To me, the services are hardly comparable. With Blockbuster you can return them to the store; not only is that more convenient, but you can rent movies twice as fast this way. This week I haven't had time to go to Blockbuster, and have been getting a new one in the mail every day (3 at a time plan), so the turnaround here is fast. And if that wasn't enough, Blockbuster gives me a free videogame rental once a month (or DVD if you choose).

To me, Netflix's only advantage is a better website

I agree. Also with how vpivinylspinner views it.

BB has been very fast for me. I think mine come from Pennsylvania with quick turn around. I choose the movies I want and then give my wife the return envelope so she can rent in-store which she prefers. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back