neodymium
Jun 26, 2009 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DonAlejandro

New Head-Fier
Greetings. I am interested in hand manufacturing my own headphones. I am curious as to where you can purchase parts such as neodymium drivers, hopefully of respectable quality. I know I could salvage them from headphones, but I would rather not and I know it would be much cheaper to just buy the drivers. Thank you.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 6
maybe you could grab samples from Foster? you prolly need to make up a good story, though
biggrin.gif

they build drivers for Denon and so on : http://www.foster.co.jp/en_index.html

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 6
I have limited knowledge on the subject, but I was wondering, does anyone use alnico anymore? Some of the sweetest speakers I've heard were old alnicos, and it's still in demand for guitar amps.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, I will check them out. I would think that there'd be some electronics manufacturer that would sell drivers to the public(or DIY community). I've never heard of alnicos. Is that some sort of driver or?

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have limited knowledge on the subject, but I was wondering, does anyone use alnico anymore? Some of the sweetest speakers I've heard were old alnicos, and it's still in demand for guitar amps.

They are used in guitar pickups almost exclusively
But as for speakers.... no clue. Never heard them either

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some JBL, Spendor, Omega, Nola, Aurum and Lowther home speakers, and I'm sure a few others. Audio Note also makes a diy speaker kit that uses alnico drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back