Neko Audio D100
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #46 of 58
I like cats too. I currently have 2 of them. And I try to feed strays whenever I encounter them.

I was originally interested in the PS Audio DAC III. But our good friend Jeff Dorgay over at the Steve Hoffman Forum steered me to your Neko D100. The design of your DAC intruiges me, for the reasons already mentioned by others.

I'm looking forward to hearing the D100. I'll be putting in an order, hopefully soon.
I'm also looking forward to a possible future preamp or phono preamp from you.
Thanks for answering my questions.

- Sushimaster

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #47 of 58
I really enjoyed listening to the D100 at Canjam. It didn't have the best ancillary equipment, but I could still tell it was a gorgeous source. I'm thinking of getting one shortly.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #48 of 58
You're welcome, Sushimaster. And thanks for stopping by, 1UP. I wish it could have been a little quieter--the noise level was often too high to do any real critical listening.

I do want to say thanks to Whiplash Audio for lending me a coaxial S/PDIF cable, to velogreg for all of his help, and to morphsci for lending me his HeadAmp GS-X.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #49 of 58
I wish I could have listened to the D100. I was hoping to try out your DAC. I've never really had much experience with DACs or really owned one myself. I'm planning on getting one sometime soon though. Probably something that suits my budget better at the time as I'm currently struggling with paying with school.

I missed CanJam 09, because it was getting so close to finals time for me at UCSD. I was stuck in the deep depths of underground labs with software engineering O_o

Hopefully I'll get to listen to your dac some day. Maybe by the time I get my B.S. in Computer Engineering, I would've learned enough to maybe build something of my own. However, at the time, I believe I'm probably lacking skill in my EE skills.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by trigg3rhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I missed CanJam 09, because it was getting so close to finals time for me at UCSD. I was stuck in the deep depths of underground labs with software engineering O_o

Hopefully I'll get to listen to your dac some day. Maybe by the time I get my B.S. in Computer Engineering, I would've learned enough to maybe build something of my own. However, at the time, I believe I'm probably lacking skill in my EE skills.

Education comes before Can Jam. Hopefully I won't be banned for saying that.
k701smile.gif

If you're interested in this stuff a good starting point is to take whatever intro EE classes cover circuit theory, transistors, and signal processing (i.e. Matlab). The prerequisites for those should include some physics classes.

The most important lab will be the one where you learn that circuits don't obey you--they obey the laws of physics. That may also be the most frustrating lab.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not ship to Europe yet, right??

Since I think you're the one who has asked most, I thought I should let you know that I can ship to Europe with 220V support now.
atsmile.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by WesMiaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I think you're the one who has asked most, I thought I should let you know that I can ship to Europe with 220V support now.
atsmile.gif

Awesome!

I've felt a mysterious draw toward your D100 for some time now. I dig the compact understated, yet elegant, design.
I'm not quite ready to make the purchase though, still a bit of research left to do. Electrocompaniet ECD1 is your main competitor at the moment.

The lack of an USB input doesn't worry me too much, as long as it will work well with optical out from my Mac. In that regard I gat a little worried when I read the section in the TONEaudio review when it was mentioned that compared to coax optical will always be a little inferior. I've stumbled over similar utterances across the web, but always discarded them as standard audiophoolery snobbery in the same vein as this cable non-sense.
I wondered if you could give a professional answer to my worries: Do optical digital transfer have a real technical disadvantage compared to coaxial?

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that regard I gat a little worried when I read the section in the TONEaudio review when it was mentioned that compared to coax optical will always be a little inferior. I've stumbled over similar utterances across the web, but always discarded them as standard audiophoolery snobbery in the same vein as this cable non-sense.
I wondered if you could give a professional answer to my worries: Do optical digital transfer have a real technical disadvantage compared to coaxial?

I fear to tread into the realm of politics, but here goes.
smile.gif

Forgetting the data signal for a moment, there is one primary concern I have when using a coaxial connection which is noise on the cable. This is a particular concern with computers because the internals are so noisy. We've measured extraneous frequencies flowing down the coaxial cable from a computer.

This is the reason I recommend using the optical connection from a computer.

There are all sorts of issues that can be included in a discussion of optical versus coaxial. But every source and receiver implementation is going to be different and some issues will be of greater concern than others depending on the implementation.

A poor coaxial receiver circuit (which can be conceivably made worse with a poorly terminated cable) may result in signal reflections and poor data transfer. A TOTX (optical transmitter) or TORX (optical receiver) with power supply issues will have problems performing the conversion.

There are all sorts of reasons why in a specific instance one connection may transfer data better than another. So the answer can be true or false or a non-issue in your setup. And the price of your gear doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of its circuit design.

That sounded like a pretty political non-answer, but it's true. What you really care about is whether or not what you have is good or not. Deciding to completely rule out X in favor of Y is not a good decision in this case.

Anyway, I have always stated that I do not suggest coaxial or optical is better one way or the other with the D100. I happen to primarily use the D100's optical input at home.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #55 of 58
Thanks, that was very, uhm… diplomatic
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I will conclude with that as long as it's correctly implemented, neither method of transfer has any clear advantage over the other.
It seems like I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will conclude with that as long as it's correctly implemented, neither method of transfer has any clear advantage over the other.

That's basically what I was getting at. You can find bad and good examples of either implementation. Although it's probably a lot easier to design a bad coaxial circuit just because there are so many possibilities.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #57 of 58
I was going to have this DAC modded by Wes since he has been so awesome to me (I wanted a 75 Ohm BNC input), but my mind is now set on having a Buffalo II or AckoDAC built for me, so I am probably going to sell the D100  *sniff*

This DAC has been amazing, but unfortunately my audiophile OCD is making me want to try some more DACs and I need funds.

I am selling this wonderful DAC for half price *gasp!*, so you guys might want to jump on this if you are interested.

I just hope that Wes does not release a MkIII that has 75 Ohm BNC, because that would ruin my plans.  :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502726/fs-neko-audio-d100-dac-einar-sound-vc-01i-amp/15#post_6803921

Users who are viewing this thread

Back