Neko Audio D100
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would love to see a comparison against the DA11. Wes, maybe you could send a loaner to Jude?

All of my review units are out right now, but I do offer a 30-day free trial where you'd only have to pay for shipping if you are unsatisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So awesome job Wes! I hope your new company is very successful and I highly recommend your DAC to others that are interested!

Thank you very much for the kind words. And those are some real nice looking headphones! In reply to some of your comments:

The stereo separation is more a function of having two DAC chips operating in mono than it being balanced. The balanced signal provides EM noise rejection. Sometimes a pre-amp has a better signal path when receiving balanced though.

The enclosure is steel for its strength and EM shielding; the exterior is painted, but you'll notice the interior and where the two parts meet is not painted so that there is a path to chassis ground. From page 61 of EDN Designers Guide to Electromagnetic Compatibility: "If you need low-frequency magnetic-field shielding, then use steel because aluminum becomes virtually transparent to magnetic fields under 1 kHz."

If you are going to get an internal sound card, I'd recommend using the optical output just to be safe. We found one name-brand sound card had its coaxial output improperly grounded and that it was sending multiples of 6MHz over the wire.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am building another computer in the next month or two and I will be getting a sound card with SPDIF Coax out. Not sure if this will make a difference, but right now I am using optical out. So that is the only change coming up in the near future.

I just got a report of someone using the optical output on what I think is their built-in sound card and getting horrendous noise when attempting to send out 96kHz and 192kHz audio. This is the first I've heard of this happening with optical. What's interesting is he was able to reduce (or eliminate, not 100% sure) the noise at 96kHz by shielding the audio circuit on his motherboard. He wasn't able to do anything about the noise at 192kHz.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 58
Seems like most audio forums I have been to that discuss S/PDIF optical vs. coax seem to come to the conclusion that coax is better (ie. No signal conversion needed, crappy optical S/PDIF hardware in most consumer devices, etc.). Also, a quality sound card is a must in computing (onboard is usually VERY noisy).

Even better would be to use something like S/PDIF BNC or one of the AES/EBU connection standards for super low jitter.

I will try both optical and coax after I build my new computer. Plan to use an Auzentech card at this point since I am a PC gamer.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 58
Any planes of a 220v version?

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #38 of 58
paara, there are plans for a 220V version, but I really can't say what the time frame might be. Not likely to be anytime very soon. Plus there's all the additional regulatory stuff for going worldwide. Sorry I can't make you feel more excited. :-S

1UP, I'll actually be at Cam Jam at one of the vendor tables. So just drop by and bring whatever gear or CDs you might want to try out with it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Right now I plan to bring an inexpensive CD player and a MacBook as transports, a Channel Islands VPH-2, and AKG K 271 headphones.

Zorlac, I'd be curious to find out what your experience is with coax versus optical. I've only seen issues with low-quality components, like those sold with computers, or as this person encountered if you try to run higher sample rates over optical (as failure rather than noise). It may be simply because Toshiba manufactures a variety of Toslink transmitters and receivers and they're not all created equal.

May 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one question for Wes: how low is the output? Are we talking under 2V?

The D100's output voltage is close to 1V peak. When volume matching, it is -6dB from standard RCA line-level and -12dB from standard XLR line-level. As far as I know, no one has had a problem. I use the D100 with 86dB-sensitive speakers and never have to add gain using my pre-amp and a standard 27dB-gain amp.

May 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by NekoAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do offer a 30-day free trial where you'd only have to pay for shipping if you are unsatisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Wes

I'm interested.

I read your web site but could you go into a little more detail on how the trial works and what do I do next to order one?

USG

May 26, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read your web site but could you go into a little more detail on how the trial works and what do I do next to order one?

Sure. Basically, you place an order as you normally would. If you are unsatisfied then return it within 30 days of the date I shipped it and you get a refund for the purchase price ($1295). So you're just out the shipping to you, and the shipping you paid to send it back.

The easiest way to order is on the web site using Google Checkout or PayPal. If you want to use a different method of payment just get in contact with me to arrange things.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by NekoAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1UP, I'll actually be at Cam Jam at one of the vendor tables. So just drop by and bring whatever gear or CDs you might want to try out with it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Right now I plan to bring an inexpensive CD player and a MacBook as transports, a Channel Islands VPH-2, and AKG K 271 headphones.

I updated in the Can Jam thread, but I might as well mention it here too. In addition to the gear listed above, I'll also be bringing a pair of Sennheiser HD650 cans and both Luxman P-200 and HeadAmp GS-X headphone amps.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #44 of 58
Wes,

What is the story behind the name NekoAudio and the logo?
Also if you don't mind, what's your background info?
Besides DACs, what other products do you forsee having in the future?

- Sushimaster

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #45 of 58
Neko Audio was named because neko is Japanese for cat and I happen to love cats. The logo is a silhouette of one of my cats, Nami.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm guessing you are wondering about my personal background info with respect to audio engineering? Education-wise, I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from UC Berkeley, and a M.S. in Computer Science from UNC Chapel Hill. The D100 is the first audio unit I have designed and manufactured.

I have a few ideas for future products, but nothing I would feel comfortable mentioning at the moment. Sorry.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back