Needs help moving from closed back to open back headphones
Nov 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #31 of 40
I had the Little Dot I+ with some decent tubes. It was nice, but I liked my Objective 2 better, and I got rid of it. You've got a nice Audio GD unit. I'd be surprised if the Vali is the right price/performance range for you. I heard the Bottlehead Crack OTL last spring. I wouldn't bother with inexpensive hybrid tube amps ever again.
wink.gif

Yea... I highly doubt it will stay in my hands for long... but  there aer MANY ppl who are interested in hybrid amps! And for them I'd like to have heard it once. Not to mention I really want to at least own ONE schiit amp before the year is over! 

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #34 of 40

Thank you man :)
WOW this thread is getting interesting :D It's good to know that everyone helps each other around here!!!

But i can't afford these right now. Will probably go for it next month if the sale is still on.

I feel obligated to point out that i own the FiiO E07K which is fairly good with the DT990 and my other ATH-M50. However, i want more for the former one. So, is the FiiO E09K an option here? Will it really improve the sound? If not, then am definitely getting one of those amps that you guys suggested..

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 40
Hi Moshin29

Have another option for you - and one you won't need to muck around with tubes.

Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm) currently USD235 + freight.  I own the NFB-12 which is the older version of this amp. Whilst I haven't got (or heard) the DT990, I did own both the 250ohm and 600ohm DT880s - and the NFB-12 paired really nicely with them.

What I found with the Audio-gd is:
 - Dual WM8741s mean sound is very full bodied (rather than lean and thin)
 - A class amp section is very powerful
 - Has inputs for USB, optical and coax
 - Has outputs for headphone, and a DAC out (analog out) that can be either fixed or variable.  Variable uses the volume pot on the Audio-gd.

At home I use the headphone out for my headphones, then the line-out (RCA's) through a splitter to either:
 - LD MKIV full OTL tube amp (on the fixed line-out switch) - mainly for when I had the DT880 600ohm, for my HD600s, and eventually for the HD800s if/when I get them.
 - My passive bookshelf speakers (Celestian F10s) (on the variable line-out switch)

It has no problems with the speakers - and is perfect with brighter cans (like the Beyers), but without making things too warm (ie - fantastic also with AKG, HD600 etc).

If you're looking at a DAC/amp combo that is budget friendly, able to drive most cans out there, and sounds great - I'd give the NFB 15.32 some consideration.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 40
  Hi Moshin29

Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm) currently USD235 + freight.  I own the NFB-12 which is the older version of this amp. Whilst I haven't got (or heard) the DT990, I did own both the 250ohm and 600ohm DT880s - and the NFB-12 paired really nicely with them.

- Has outputs for headphone, and a DAC out (analog out) that can be either fixed or variable.  Variable uses the volume pot on the Audio-gd.

At home I use the headphone out for my headphones, then the line-out (RCA's) through a splitter to either:
 - LD MKIV full OTL tube amp (on the fixed line-out switch) - mainly for when I had the DT880 600ohm, for my HD600s, and eventually for the HD800s if/when I get them.
 - My passive bookshelf speakers (Celestian F10s) (on the variable line-out switch)

It has no problems with the speakers - and is perfect with brighter cans (like the Beyers), but without making things too warm (ie - fantastic also with AKG, HD600 etc).

If you're looking at a DAC/amp combo that is budget friendly, able to drive most cans out there, and sounds great - I'd give the NFB 15.32 some consideration.

This looks promising.. cel4145 also mentionned this brand earlier. Unfortunately, it's not available where i live and neither on amazon
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #37 of 40
  Hi Moshin29

I can support any recommendation for Audio GD products! I love mine 10Es2 to death <3 but yea the NFB 15 would be a great option at your price point :3 

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #38 of 40
  This looks promising.. cel4145 also mentionned this brand earlier. Unfortunately, it's not available where i live and neither on amazon
frown.gif

You can order new direct from Audio-gd in China (use their website - they have great service).  Just follow the instructions on this page (http://www.audio-gd.com/Shop-EN.htm).  I wouldn't be recommending this if I hadn't actually done this before (I'm in NZ).  Kingwa and his team are great to deal with and their follow up service seems to be great too (parts warrantied for 10 years!).  My unit is still running perfectly after a couple of years and I've never felt the need to upgrade.

Or keep an eye on FS section here on Head-fi.  EG >
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672366/little-dot-mk-5-audio-gd-nfb-12-1-aus (try making him an offer on the 12.1 only).

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #39 of 40

You can order new direct from Audio-gd in China (use their website - they have great service).  Just follow the instructions on this page (http://www.audio-gd.com/Shop-EN.htm).  I wouldn't be recommending this if I hadn't actually done this before (I'm in NZ).  Kingwa and his team are great to deal with and their follow up service seems to be great too (parts warrantied for 10 years!).  My unit is still running perfectly after a couple of years and I've never felt the need to upgrade.

Or keep an eye on FS section here on Head-fi.  EG >
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672366/little-dot-mk-5-audio-gd-nfb-12-1-aus (try making him an offer on the 12.1 only).

Indeed Audio GD makes a very very good product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back