Needhelp choosing basshead headphones/iem's
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 26
The audio technica "earsuit" line will not put as much pressure on the ears as the MOEs (I have tried them and used to wear glasses), so pressure will be more even on the ear and will give your glasses some space to rest on your ears. By the way, we are now talking about the ath-es7 and not ath-ws99 because of the price difference on amazon.de. The v-moda m-100s are notorious for excessive clamping for many people who do not wear glasses and really are for those with the right-sized head (I saw this one guy riding his bike with crossfade lps, but his head was interestingly narrow for being stocky-shouldered). Wearing glasses will not help this, and your frames might bend from the cups, which are built like a tank (or least literally designed like a tank). It is up to you, though.

Edit: For the record, I am not trying to win an opinion match, either. I have been posting on BBS tech forums since 2000 and have more composure than that.

Edit #2: V-moda M-100s are 271 euros new and 263 euros used on amazon.de.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 26
Edit: For the record, I am not trying to win an opinion match, either. I have been posting on BBS tech forums since 2000 and have more composure than that.

Wasn't thinking that at all, hehe, but thanks for the help anyways.
As i'm willing to sacrifice comfort for better bass/sound, i'll go with the m100 for now.
I do have average ears size so i will try my luck with them.
If they suck, i can always return them and go for the es7.
I'll buy them directly from v-moda.com instead of amazon, 'cause they're about 40$ more, lol.

I still would like to hear some words about the ie80's though, since in-ears are really comfortable for me, and easier to drive.

I'm gonna go to bed now since it's 5 am here .. looking forward to hear some more from you guys.
Thanks for helping me out ! :)
Edit: Also, are the v-moda's any good for gaming/movies?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 26
Well you apparently need more volume. I think your ears sense the recessed midrange, forcing you to turn up the volume. If you got something like the MDR 1R, or M500, sure the bass at first may seem unsatisfactory (even though these are modestly bass emphasized cans, less so with the m500) but you'll get used to it and even enjoy a fuller sound more. You won't need as much volume.

Anyway, I'd get the E11...

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 26
For excellent "basshead" IEM's, try the JVC HA-FX101. They are an incredible value and dwarf the sound quality of any pair of headphones I've used sub $400. They are around $15-20 depending on where you go. But be aware: the cable quality is a bit shotty and they require a good amount of burn in before the highs are tamed. After that, you get clear, punchy bass and deep sub bass that doesn't overpower the highs. They are V shaped IEM's so the mids are a bit recessed, but what you say it sounds like you are interested in the bass. They also get pretty damn loud, and if that isn't enough you can always pick up an amp.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 26
Currently using Audio-Technica ATH-WS99, I usually let the rim of my glasses above the earpads when I wear them. This headphone more toward sub bass and real tight bass when amped properly. It is definitely fun though, but still a great all rounder. :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 26
Went with the M-100 and boy am i glad. They fit my ears perfectly, they don't press my glasses, being one of the most comfortable hp's i've tried. (they do heat up after some hours of usage but, hey, that happens with all pleather hp.)
And the sound.. amazing. I wish they had a tad more bass punch when unamped, but amped and with proper EQ, they're MONSTERS!

But some bad things happened too:

-I had to pay import taxes.. and i ended up paying 450$ on them. (orderer boompro mic too.)
-The speak easy cable is faulty, when walking or moving the cable some parts of the songs are cut out (like vocals, instruments, etc.).
-They seem to have forgot to ship my boompro mic, since the package i received only contained the hp's. I emailed their support and in about 3 hours they replied and sent me another boompro mic, and a replacement orange cable, yay :D !

Thanks to everyone who replied this thread and helped me find the right hp!

I'll probably write a review after a few more days of burn-in, 'till then,
Rock On!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back