Needhelp choosing basshead headphones/iem's
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

GangXtaZz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently bought the Sennheiser Momentum on ear, and while i'm in love with the sound quality, i'm not satisfied with the volume and bass quantity.
I want deeper, stronger bass punch, that has that slaming/kick effect, while still maintaining overall sound quality.A wide soundstage would be great too.
Also, I want them to get really loud.
As source i'll be using my phone Htc One X at work, and my computer with asus xonar dg soundcard at home.
I mostly listen to dubstep,dnb,electronic music but enjoy others genres aswell, like metalcore, classic, top 40 songs etc.

Budget: ~300$

So far i've been looking at these:

hp:
V-moda m-100 (330$) 
V-moda lp2 (220$)
Fidelio l1(225$)
Sony mdr 1r(245$)

iems:
sennheiser ie80 (285$)

Looking forward for other suggestions too.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 26
If you can return the momentum on-ears, try out the bowers and wilkins p7 over-ear cans. They have the clean impact and sub-bass coexisting during playing (very rare) and are among the best-balanced portables available, though you should try them first. Best Buys with Magnolia sections have them for audition and you can ask the store to order them online.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 26
The p7 are out of my budget since i'm planning to return the MOE and add another 100$, therefore the 300$ budget.
The MOE had bass, but i want deeper, stronger bass. Also, they're not comfortable since i wear glasses and they push them against my head making my ears really sore after 1-1/2 hours of wearing.

How is the bass, sound quality and soundstage on m-100/ath ws99 compared to MOE? is it worth the extra 100$ for the upgrade?
also, i am willing to buy an amp like fiio e6/e11/e07k

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 26
I didn't hear the Momentum On ear for very long. The soundstage isn't large. The M100 and WS99 have larger sounstages but not special for closed over ears.

The M100 has more bass, the WS99 has around the same, perhaps less, but it has the tightest bass of three.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 26
I used to own the momentum over-ears, tried out the on-ears as a comparison, and auditioned tye P7 as a possible buy, hence why I felt a refund and exchange was warranted, but m-100 and ws99 are good options as well.

Since you wear glasses, the ws99 look better for you. I have read reviews of problems with glasses and m-100 fit and finish. I guess their frames were really wide.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 26
Hi,

Fidelio L1 go very deep in the bass, but hardly ever sound loud, it is not a punchy headphone, someway they lack midbass impact, while having great sub bass energy. Bass doesn't hit, just fills the space in a smooth way.
I've read only good things about WS-99 bass. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Best Luck!

PS. You should also consider Dunu DN-1000.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 26
Also, if you want a really good and fun overall sound and be able to find a really good price for them, consider the AT ath-es10. There might be one used with esw11 earpads (real lambskin leather) in the classifieds for $250(?) from a reputable trader.

Edit: I used to own the ath-es7s and there is definitely room for your frames, so look into the aty-es10, as they are both earsuits.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 26
  ok, cool, but how exactly can you describe "tight" bass.. i'm a real noob when coming to these terms :D
also, i'm willing to sacrifice comfort for better bass/sound

Tight: Soesn't interfere with the mids, the vocals, the instruments, the everything.  Also has great stop and start times (starts exactly when the source asks it to and stops accordingly, aka "attack).  The ES FC300 also has a good amount of bass, though the WS99 is again a little tighter.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 26
I live in Romania, so it's hard to find used headphones, esp ones as ATH.I will buy the headphones from amazon.de, so you can look there for suggestions.
So.. it's down to m100 vs ws99..
Which one is more "fun", has the bass that you can "feel" and  is the loudest?

So far no impressions on the ie80? Are they suited for dubstep? They look appealing since i can get them at almost 150$ below MSRP

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 26
I live in Romania, so it's hard to find used headphones, esp ones as ATH.I will buy the headphones from amazon.de, so you can look there for suggestions.
So.. it's down to m100 vs ws99..
Which one is more "fun", has the bass that you can "feel" and  is the loudest?

So far no impressions on the ie80? Are they suited for dubstep? They look appealing since i can get them at almost 150$ below MSRP

Wow, ws99 are 250 euros ($341) at amazon.de. The discontinued ath-es7 (ones I used to have and only ones to make the most inaccurately-cultural mixed electronica songs sound fun) are 99 euros new and 89 euros used, and the fiio e07k is 99 euros new. Get the ath-es7 and fiio e07k together (can't recommend the m100s because of your glasses) and it comes to $271 with change for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back