Needed and Wanted: Complete overhaul of entire music collection.
Mar 29, 2004 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TeRrAPh0eNiX

100+ Head-Fier
You may be following my venture into the world of audiophilia with my Etymotic ER-6s, or not, but i'm running into a few problems. I have a problem: I can either return the ER-6s and keep listening to my bad recordings through some other headphones, or keep the ER-6 and begin widening my musical tastes and horizons by listening to new artists, underground or popular, and on the way becoming a more-musically rounded individual who knows what good music is.

With the latter, i think i've made a good choice.
600smile.gif
biggrin.gif

So, my humble request to the incredibly vast and dense knowledge base of the Head-Fi community is this:

Please recommend me some music: well-recorded Metal, Hard Rock, Rock, Alternative, and believe it or not, Classical music is what i'm looking for.
Underground, popular, or just plain weird, i'm looking for some music to truly showcase the capabilites of my Er-6s.

I know there are some great artists out there, and with the humongous amount of music you guys listen to (hey, you are audiophiles
biggrin.gif
), i'm sure there will be plenty of music for me to buy.

Thank you so much in advance.

Mar 29, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Porcupine Tree. get the most recent and work backwards. or just get anything you cn get your hands on
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 12
Here's my recommendations for a small collection of albums that'll let you see what your new ER-6s can do:

The Clash: London Calling (punk)
Sleater-Kinney: Dig Me Out (punk)
Loreena McKennitt: Book of Secrets (classical-influenced)
Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over the Sea (alternative)
Tom Waits: Bone Machine (weird
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Well-recorded metal, eh? Try:

Dream Theater - Images and Words (think heavy riffs and drums meets Rush, the perfect blend of metal and prog)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (classic british metal with a hint of artiness here and there and a very melodic style)

Judas Priest - Stained Class (the best and heaviest metal album of th '70's, and it sounds fabulous)

Kreator - Coma Of Souls (Pure thrash metal with great production and insane riffs)

Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime (What a concept album is all about, with orchestration by the late Michael Kamen)

Rage - Ghosts (heavy-duty german power metal meets the orchestra, with a great conecpt and lyrics to boot)

Savatage - Streets (The culmination of the talents of the most emotional guitarist I've ever heard. R.I.P. Criss Oliva)

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy (Paganni meets Pantera, with a classic metal voice to back it all up)

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 12
There's an amazing amount of great and/or fun music out there...

For something really different (and even free) try The Bran Flakes web site http://www.thebranflakes.com/bran/sounds.html

I've gotten very hooked on their quirky sound, and have since ordered ALL of their CD's - all quite fun, and quite a bargin.

For other oddities, try The Residents. http://www.residents.com/

They've been making very strange recordings for 30 years. One of their latest CD's - Demons Dance Alone, is very good, and more 'accessible' than most. I saw them perform that material live when they played a smaller show in Minneapolis - VERY different.

If you're after something a little bit, but not TOO mainstream, Soul Coughing put out a couple really great CD's before going on to other things. I really like those recording a lot.

Check these out - they could change your life ( although it's hard to predicit in what way exactly...)

Enjoy!

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Just get good music. A lot of that will show off what the Etys are capable of. Start with the masterpiece thread.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Just get good music. A lot of that will show off what the Etys are capable of.

That's kind of what i'm doing here.
600smile.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for showing me the masterpiece thread; it helps a lot. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back