Need vocal forward sounding headphone around $330.
May 9, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 25
I live in the Netherlands.

Here are a lot of vintage recievers that are in my price range, do you know which one would be best for the Sextett?

https://www.marktplaats.nl/z/audio-...vers/vintage.html?query=vintage&categoryId=46

I dont read Dutch so it makes scanning pretty laborious...Look for something by Sansui or Marantz (for warmest sound) Pioneer,Kenwood for brighter sound...anything 35wpc and above will work good...PM me a specific unit and I will do my best to help....Be aware that many of these receivers need work,so have a technician close by unless you can do electronics yourself.

May 9, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 25
I would suggest looking into a pair of AKG K240 sextetts,which can be found used for between 100.00 and 150.00.You will need a pretty good amp to drive them,but once properly driven the Sextetts have one of the best and fwd mids Ive ever heard,and no sibilence!
You are so right on the Sextetts. I heard them for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a meet and the are good. I'm looking for a pair now. I had my Liquid Carbon almost maxed out to get decent volume but hooked up to the 600 ohm tap on my Kenzie had to turn the volume down it is awesome with that amp. I wish I would have tried them out of my Bottlehead Crack and heard the result.

May 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 25
You are so right on the Sextetts. I heard them for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a meet and the are good. I'm looking for a pair now. I had my Liquid Carbon almost maxed out to get decent volume but hooked up to the 600 ohm tap on my Kenzie had to turn the volume down it is awesome with that amp. I wish I would have tried them out of my Bottlehead Crack and heard the result.

Yep,theyre really awesome HPs,punching way above the price,amping being the only possible frustration.
Do you know what version of Sextetts you heard?
I put together a Sextett buying guide awhile back...might help you out.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...timate-solution.715478/page-456#post-13299270

May 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 25
Yep,theyre really awesome HPs,punching way above the price,amping being the only possible frustration.
Do you know what version of Sextetts you heard?
I put together a Sextett buying guide awhile back...might help you out.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...timate-solution.715478/page-456#post-13299270
Really don't know . It was funny these two 15 year old kids showed up at the meet with like 15 vintage cans. They were definitely old and super hard to drive out of normal gear. They had a silver face on them and the holes in the headband and the passive radiators other than that can't say. If I would have thought about it at the time I would made a offer on them. Just checked out the guide all silver for sure.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #22 of 25
Really don't know . It was funny these two 15 year old kids showed up at the meet with like 15 vintage cans. They were definitely old and super hard to drive out of normal gear. They had a silver face on them and the holes in the headband and the passive radiators other than that can't say. If I would have thought about it at the time I would made a offer on them.
Props to the kids for giving vintage gear some love...Hope for the world! :)

May 9, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 25
They were totally into don't know were that came from but right there is hope.

May 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 25
18422126_10155609996745288_8923743883618262902_o.jpg
Kenwood Eleven GX (125wpc) > AKG K240 sextetts...My desktop setup!

May 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #25 of 25
Which one has the more forward vocals with the SRD-7 SB amp, the 407 or 202?

The SRM-212 and SRM-252 amps are waaaaay out of my budget (and I can't find them on the classifieds, because there's no search option yet).
The 202 will have the more forward mids, but just a little bit. The construction around the driver of the 407 is more durable and it's a newer model. They often go for way more than $300, but the replaced head band seems to keep the price lower. that is why I recommended it.

Yes, those amps are selling for ridiculous prices on e-bay at the moment. About 2 years ago, I bought a 202 with an SRM-212 for under $300. If I could find a good deal for you, I would do you the favor, but I live in Europe and with shipping costs+import duties it's more difficult to find something worth while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back