Need vocal forward sounding headphone around $330.
May 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm looking for a vocal forward headphone, with decent neutral bass response and smooth treble (either open or closed) at the $330 price point (I wouldn't mind buying used).

May 8, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 25
If you don't mind buying used, I would recommend a second hand STAX system. There is this very good deal right now on the Head-fi For Sale forum with various electrostatic headphones and amplifiers:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fs-stax-202-303-407-srd-6-srd-7.816759/

I recommend for you to get the SR-407 together with the STAX SRD-7 SB. It might be a little bit over your budget, but it's certainly worth the money! For the future I would strongly recommend for you to purchase a better amp.

May 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 25
If you don't mind buying used, I would recommend a second hand STAX system. There is this very good deal right now on the Head-fi For Sale forum with various electrostatic headphones and amplifiers:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fs-stax-202-303-407-srd-6-srd-7.816759/

I recommend for you to get the SR-407 together with the STAX SRD-7 SB. It might be a little bit over your budget, but it's certainly worth the money! For the future I would strongly recommend for you to purchase a better amp.
Hmm, would that amp give enough power to drive the SR-407 with great sound quality?

Also, how is the bass and treble on this system?

May 8, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 25
If you don't go with the Stax and you don't need lots of bass, I would recommend that you take a look at a HiFiMAN HE400S. It's possible it could work for you (with the Focus A Pads). It really sounds terrific.

May 8, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 25
If you don't go with the Stax and you don't need lots of bass, I would recommend that you take a look at a HiFiMAN HE400S. It's possible it could work for you (with the Focus A Pads). It really sounds terrific.
I used to own the HE-400i, but sold them because I thought they highs were too harsh without EQ.

How does the HE-400i compare to the HE-400s soundwise?

May 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 25
Grados. (SR225e/325e)

From my very brief comparison of the HE400i and HE400s, they sounded very similar. The HE400i may be technically superior, especially when amped properly.

May 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 25
Hmm, would that amp give enough power to drive the SR-407 with great sound quality?

Also, how is the bass and treble on this system?
Yes, that amp would give enough power. It's also important to know that it needs to be connected to a speaker amp. It's possible that the amp has only normal bias and no pro bias connection. You still can connect the pro bias to the normal bias. The quality becomes a little bit less, but it's still far better than any headphones at that price point in my opinion. Certainly for the natural, transparent mids.

The bass is linear and neutral. Neither north nor south of neutral. It's very fast and blends seamlessly with the mids.

The treble is very detailed, fast, and still not peaky or harsh at all. It's not a soft treble like on the Sennheiser HD500 and HD600 series, but it's natural and true to the source. If you prefer a softer treble, then perhaps the SR-202 is the best choice from the list. In that case, I recommend for you to exchange the pads for better ones, either from STAX (507 replacement ear pads are $75). Or different shapes from aftermarket sellers. These are cheaper, but results may differ. Some may turn out to be significantly better, but it's still a bit of a gamble.

[edit]
I forgot to mention that choosing the SR-202 also opens up the option to look for a better amp elsewhere that doesn't need to be connected to a speaker amp. Something like the SRM-212 or the SRM-252.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 25
Yes, that amp would give enough power. It's also important to know that it needs to be connected to a speaker amp. It's possible that the amp has only normal bias and no pro bias connection. You still can connect the pro bias to the normal bias. The quality becomes a little bit less, but it's still far better than any headphones at that price point in my opinion. Certainly for the natural, transparent mids.

The bass is linear and neutral. Neither north nor south of neutral. It's very fast and blends seamlessly with the mids.

The treble is very detailed, fast, and still not peaky or harsh at all. It's not a soft treble like on the Sennheiser HD500 and HD600 series, but it's natural and true to the source. If you prefer a softer treble, then perhaps the SR-202 is the best choice from the list. In that case, I recommend for you to exchange the pads for better ones, either from STAX (507 replacement ear pads are $75). Or different shapes from aftermarket sellers. These are cheaper, but results may differ. Some may turn out to be significantly better, but it's still a bit of a gamble.

[edit]
I forgot to mention that choosing the SR-202 also opens up the option to look for a better amp elsewhere that doesn't need to be connected to a speaker amp. Something like the SRM-212 or the SRM-252.
Which one has the more forward vocals with the SRD-7 SB amp, the 407 or 202?

The SRM-212 and SRM-252 amps are waaaaay out of my budget (and I can't find them on the classifieds, because there's no search option yet).

May 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 25
I would suggest looking into a pair of AKG K240 sextetts,which can be found used for between 100.00 and 150.00.You will need a pretty good amp to drive them,but once properly driven the Sextetts have one of the best and fwd mids Ive ever heard,and no sibilence!

May 9, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 25
I would suggest looking into a pair of AKG K240 sextetts,which can be found used for between 100.00 and 150.00.You will need a pretty good amp to drive them,but once properly driven the Sextetts have one of the best and fwd mids Ive ever heard,and no sibilence!
Would a Geek Out 450 drive them properly?

May 9, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 25
Would a Geek Out 450 drive them properly?

I dont know the specs of that amp/dac but I have tried using them from a Magni Uber and a Chord Mojo and neither do the job great.
They really like OTL amps and vintage receiver HP jacks....Another member is driving them with Wells Milo,but I think the Milo will drive just about anything on the planet.

May 9, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 25
I dont know the specs of that amp/dac but I have tried using them from a Magni Uber and a Chord Mojo and neither do the job great.
They really like OTL amps and vintage receiver HP jacks....Another member is driving them with Wells Milo,but I think the Milo will drive just about anything on the planet.
Do you know anything around $200 that will have them have forward mids with no sibilance, and neutral bass?

May 9, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 25
Do you know anything around $200 that will have them have forward mids with no sibilance, and neutral bass?

Vintage receiver,best kept secret in this hobby.
Where do you live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back