Need USB/DAC/Head Amp for ~£100. There's too many out there!
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Arfa

New Head-Fier
There's just too many of the damned thing about. I've got no idea what's good and what's old. Also many seem to be only available from US or far East, making any choice that little bit more risky, should it turn bad.

So I've got about £100 ish to spend. Its for my work PC, that's just running iTunes full of lossless ripped CD's. My cans are Audio Technica ATH-EW9's. I want something that sits on my desk, plugs into a USB socket on my work PC, has a nice volume knob on it and good sound coming out. Not so bothered by anything else. DIY is out, I'm crap with an iron and I'll never get chance to spend the time due to kids. Needs to be easily available within the EU, don't fancy importing, due to duty/tax hit and current crapness of the pound.

Had been considering a NuForce Mobile (@ £115), but wasn't sure if there's anything better. A Fubar III would be ideal, buts well over budget at £216 ish. The iBasso T4 comes in at £99 - any good? The EMU 0404 USB is £150 over here, worth keeping eye out for second hand one?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 5
a friend of mine who's got an STX just bought the HA INFO NG27, you can roll op-amps..that's a nice touch for such a low price.

too bad 16/48 max and prolly no KS/WASAPI possible.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 5
HA NG27 USB Sound Card + Mini Headphone Amp on eBay

you can see more photos here, it's even got Nichicon caps: HA INFO - HA INFO NG27 - Amplificateur casque USB - Ipod - DAC PCM2702

well I'm an op-amp freak, so no op-amps sockets is a deal breaker to me
biggrin.gif

I never used itunes, can't tell...but I think 2*LT1364+1*OPA2132P would really make this cheap amp sing
smily_headphones1.gif

my friend should get his within a few days, I'll keep you posted if you like.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Dunno if I can be arsed mucking about swapping op-amps over and the like. Really just after a simple box I can just plug in and play. Different priorities I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seen an EMU 0404 USB second hand for £100, which is £50 less than new. Seems to be fairly well regarded on here. Is there anything else that would better it at that price?

Reading up on WASAPI - seems that's out as I'm still on XP. Work has no plans on moving to Vista. Probably go straight to Win7 at some indeterminate future date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back