Need URGENT help from our computer experts.. please
Feb 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
I have vista64 installed and i was trying to resize my partitions

I installed my old copy of partition magic 8, and it turns out that it's incompatible with vista

I then tried to uninstall it, BSOD comes on and my D: partition is gone

This is where all my music, videos, workfiles are all located

I downloaded active partition recovery and it shows that my D: partition along all its files, but it's marked as 1: and i can't recover it. Also I'm fairly certain that my C: drive has also reduced in size by around 100gb

Now i'm stuck with most of my files gone, along with Partition magic 8 that can't be uninstalled

Can someone please help me recover it? I'll be forever thankful

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 21
TestDisk - CGSecurity

There is a utility that can help you recover it. If you need help using it don't hesitate to ask.

Edit: On second thought. I don't know if this will run on a Vista machine.
frown.gif

EditII: Okies. It will run on Vista. No worries
smily_headphones1.gif

EditIII: You will need some kind of storage device (the same capacity or more than your D partition) to store everything you recover on.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 21
You could always hook up the disk to another computer if possible and get to the files from there.

Or buy another harddrive, install Vista on the new one, and hook up the drive afterwards and get the files. One HD for Windows and one for files is always a good idea, also a third for backup of the second...
wink.gif

Ubuntu Live cd is also an option to get the files, but you'll need another HD to copy the files to.

Maybe there is something wrong with the MBR (Master Boot Record)?

Try Recovery Mode on the Vista CD if such thing?

Anyways, the data is most probably still in there, so in one way or the other, you should be able to get them out again...

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 21
one of many reasons I stay away from Vista (I have experience similar situation, although not as bad as yours..but endless BSOD nevertheless).

Good luck, there are always data recovery folks if you need them.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of many reasons I stay away from Vista (I have experience similar situation, although not as bad as yours..but endless BSOD nevertheless).

Good luck, there are always data recovery folks if you need them.

I was against Vista when it first came, because the lack of driver support, but I am currently running Vista 64 Ultimate, and haven't experienced any problems with it. But you need hardware with good specs.

Anyways, not much of an upgrade from XP. Only reason for me is the DirectX10 support, and that I got tired of the XP looks after running it for several years. (But big thanks to Flyakite OSX!)

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 21
Yes it is after the fact, and not meant as a 'told ya so', but as a reminder to others . . . . .

Never, I repeat NEVER make any major OS or hardware changes without first making a backup of your files. Especially something that messes with your partitions!!!

Never the less, frequent backups are a good iddea regardless. You never know when a drive will fail.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TestDisk - CGSecurity

There is a utility that can help you recover it. If you need help using it don't hesitate to ask.

Edit: On second thought. I don't know if this will run on a Vista machine.
frown.gif

EditII: Okies. It will run on Vista. No worries
smily_headphones1.gif

EditIII: You will need some kind of storage device (the same capacity or more than your D partition) to store everything you recover on.

It worked! You're a lifesaver..

And yes.. i think it's about time i start backing up (the computer was 2 weeks old
biggrin.gif
)

Btw, anyone know how to uninstall a program that refuses to be uninstalled?

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could always delete the program and folders in program files, and then run a registry cleaning program (A feature in CCleaner, which I haven't had any problems with, but there is always a risk when doing manual work with the registry)

You also might have to modify the msconfig -> startup so the program doesnt start at bootup.

Might be better ways to do this though...

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ubuntu Live cd is also an option to get the files, but you'll need another HD to copy the files to.

Ubuntu (and some other Linux distros) use testdisk.

Quote:

It worked! You're a lifesaver..

And yes.. i think it's about time i start backing up (the computer was 2 weeks old
biggrin.gif
)

A backup utility I like a lot is Syncback. There is a freeware edition of this program as well.

To uninstall a program you could simply delete the folder and clean the registry afterwards. This isn't the ideal way to do so though.

Edit: Well, what nor_spoon posted pretty much. That has always worked for me as well.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

How does it fail? If it is a file that cannot be accessed by the uninstaller, afterwards was not deleted, and wont delete, "File Unlocker" is a great application, and it is there when thing fail to rename/delete etc, and will remove it for you by unlocking the path using it.

Sometimes you have to move or rename it first with unlocker then delete with unlocker, and if that doesnt work, it will do it on the next reboot.

May not work on vista though, i use it on my xp gaming rig, but havnt used it on the new vista lappy yet
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 21
Does Vista still have the locked files problem? i.e. If a file is open in Acrobat for example, can you rename it or move it to another location, or do you still get a message that the file is locked?

Just FYI, generally when you have a really serious disk problem like this, the best first step is to do a raw block-by-block copy of the disk onto another disk, so that if one recovery method fails you can play around with others. Any LiveCD will be able to do this with the 'dd' command, or you can use 'diskutil' on Macs, or a variety of other tools. I'm always hesitant to try recovery directly on the affected drive because of the chance of causing more damage.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 21
Vista suffers from driver problems. That's why I'm stick'n to XP for a year. I learned the hard way when XP came out and had problem after problem.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista suffers from driver problems. That's why I'm stick'n to XP for a year. I learned the hard way when XP came out and had problem after problem.

(I think you meant "when Vista came out")

After reading this article A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection I think I will try to avoid Vista for as long as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back