Need Toslink Help
May 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 43

Quote:
There are non-expensive choices other than mono-price.

Maybe, but monoprice has a pretty good reputation for making cables that work.  All you need is for the cable to work, you don't need fancy materials and crazy nylon sleeves for it to sound good.  It's not like the purity of the cable will make the light slow down enough for us to hear the difference.  Also, I doubt you'll find anywhere that sells cables as ridiculously cheap as monoprice. :p

May 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #32 of 43
Maybe, but monoprice has a pretty good reputation for making cables that work.  All you need is for the cable to work, you don't need fancy materials and crazy nylon sleeves for it to sound good.  It's not like the purity of the cable will make the light slow down enough for us to hear the difference.  Also, I doubt you'll find anywhere that sells cables as ridiculously cheap as monoprice. :p

I don't doubt that at all, but there are businesses that cut and terminate cables themselves that are still quite affordable. I'd rather buy from such a shop than one that is simply a wholesale distributor. Anyway, to each his own.

May 6, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #33 of 43

I don't doubt that at all, but there are businesses that cut and terminate cables themselves that are still quite affordable. I'd rather buy from such a shop than one that is simply a wholesale distributor. Anyway, to each his own.

I had a couple of cables made for me today at Blue Jeans Cables including a Toslink cable.  I wanted to see what kind of work they do before I decide to buy  a larger number of cables from them for my flat screen setup.  I had some questions for them and emailed them .  They answered back right away.

May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #34 of 43

Quote:
I had a couple of cables made for me today at Blue Jeans Cables including a Toslink cable.  I wanted to see what kind of work they do before I decide to buy  a larger number of cables from them for my flat screen setup.  I had some questions for them and emailed them .  They answered back right away.

do you think they would make a optical to mini optical? Or do they stick to what is up for sale on their site?

May 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 43
do you think they would make a optical to mini optical? Or do they stick to what is up for sale on their site?

Doesn't hurt asking. They have a coax to mini-stereo (just purchased) so I wouldn't see why not. They also sell just an adapter for optical to mini for $2. I know I like having one piece and not having to worry about whether an adapter is having any affect on the sound.

Cheers!

May 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #37 of 43

Quote:
I'm not sure.  They reply pretty quickly to emails.    

I'm going to ask because I am planning on using their rca interconnects, I might as well try and get everything I need from them. I heard nothing but good things about their company & cables, and they are well within my price range. I'll let everyone know what they say.

May 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #38 of 43

Quote:
I'm going to ask because I am planning on using their rca interconnects, I might as well try and get everything I need from them. I heard nothing but good things about their company & cables, and they are well within my price range. I'll let everyone know what they say.

Just be careful when ordering from the website choices.  I almost made three mistakes doing that and only realized my mistakes moments before finalizing the order.  Mostly because I'm an idiot.

May 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
Just be careful when ordering from the website choices.  I almost made three mistakes doing that and only realized my mistakes moments before finalizing the order.  Mostly because I'm an idiot.

I know what your talking about I'm a complete cable noob i find there website a little tricky when first looking at it.

May 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #41 of 43

Quote:
I know what your talking about I'm a complete cable noob i find there website a little tricky when first looking at it.

I'm not a noob but I realized I don't know anything about the details of cables.  For 2 decades I just ordered them and didn't think about the choices.  I like the website though it's been very educational to look at it and order from it.

May 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #42 of 43
I ordered late yesterday afternoon and they shipped the order today.

EDIT:  Got my TOSLINK cables from Blue Jeans Cables.  Nicely made, excellent connectors. Great price. Fast service.  Cursing myself for not realizing I need more TOSLINK cables...

May 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #43 of 43
I use mac myself and was using toslink in the past until changing to USB -> Coaxial via an external converter.

Had owned Monoprice/QED/Van Den Hul optical cable (1.5m) before. There is a non-subtle difference in sound.

Nonetheless, toslink is not a good link to begin with so a cheap mini-to-toslink cable (monoprice or BJC) that will just do the job is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back