Need Toslink Help
May 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #16 of 43
You will need something like this I believe. A Toslink-to-Optical Mini Plug Digital Cable.     I'm not suggesting this brand of cable.  The link is only to show you what cable I believe you need.    I purchased one last year to go from a SONY CD transport to my iMac.  You might want to look for a better quality cable than this one.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?sku=27016&cat_id=2001

May 4, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 43
ok. What is my best option without spending a boatload of money? I have only used usb input since I've gotten into head fi without any problems. Just want to get the most out of my equipment without breaking the bank. Any ideas?

May 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 43
Still trying to figure that part out. I know the dimensions of the yulong and lyr but need to kind of see how it looks/fits on my desk. Big difference in size coming from and e9 and MSII+. 2 or 3 feet might suffice.

May 4, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
IMO, FWIR, etc. I would go with the Blue Jeans Cable toslink -> toslink (1505F) and get the $2 toslink -> 1/8 adapter on the same page. It's not glass but at short distances it shouldn't matter. And the price only goes up by about $1/ft so you wont be tied down to buying a cable that may be too short for later applications.

Thanks. Anyone else think this is the best option or the ones from the second post of this thread.

May 5, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #23 of 43
I like Monoprice.  http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229
The have Toslink to Mini Plug cables for $1.94 (3 ft.) to $9.18 (50ft.).

May 5, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 43
I recently found my local radio shack had an optical with the mini connector built on to avoid having to use the adaptors. Can't recall the price, but it was cheap.

May 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 43
I just got one of these to connect my Mac Mini to my D100. It's the shortest one I could find (50cm), since they sit right next to each other:

Fisual Pearl optical toslink to mini jack or whatever it's called. It was only £10-15, got mine off eBay.

May 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 43
Alright I'll look for that as well thanks. Have you had any issues with your D100? And do you prefer optical over usb with your mac with the D100?

May 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #28 of 43
I got it off the ads here. It works perfectly, although I had to buy a longer kettle lead as the one that came with it was a) short b) Euro plug not UK. Using all my Mini's USB ports so couldn't say, although I'm not tempted to try as... well, digital is digital to me, esp when we're talking about 50cm of cable. Going to use the XLR outs to connect with some Focal monitors, and probably get a half decent desktop headphone amp to connect via the RCAs.

May 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 43
Just get cheap ones from monoprice.  The only reason you'd need to get expensive ones is if you're using it over a long distance.  It's digital, so the absolute purity of the plastic/glass used in the fiber will make absolutely no difference over such a short difference.  The sound will either get there or it won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back