Need to replace my ER-6i by next Sunday... What to get?
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

guitarman19853

100+ Head-Fier
So I use my ER-6i's with our in-ear system at my church. Well today one of the cables went bad. I may try to get them re-cabled but I need something by next Sunday 3/21.

Heres my question - I want to upgrade to something a little better. But I like the Etymotic Research tri-flange tips. I can't find anything else that has a dual balanced armature driver that has similiar tips. They all have the larger opening tips like the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro. Which I like but don't think I'll like the tips. I've tried cheaper IEM's (MEElectronics AI-M9) with similiar tips and I don't like the shallow fit.

It has to be wearable over the ear so that rules out the ER-4.

I'd like to spend under $200 but will go to a max of $250.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Westone 2? It has tri-flange tips and is worn over the ear. Also, you can get some sort of right angle adaptors to make the ER-4P/S more wearable over the ear. I don't know where or how much, but it is possible if you really dig the Ety sound. The W2 are supposed to be similar to the Etys though, with a bit more bass but not too much by any means. You can get the W2 for $214 at TheGearLab, and they are an authorized seller.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 11
Etymotics HF5

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 11
HF5 is wearable over the ears? I thought they are meant to be wear straight down.

@guitarman19853, if you were to buy, which shops/sites are you going to buy from? You have to check the availability.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 11
All of the Westone products seem to use the same style of eartips of the etymotic's. I searched a bit and found that people recommend the W2 over the UM2 even though the UM2 is meant to be an on stage IEM.

However since I wanted to keep it under $200 I am hesitating for more options... Plus the W2's seem hard to find. There aren't alot of retailers that have them which makes me wonder if I could get them delivered by Saturday at this point.

The other thing that bugs me is for $100 more I could get custom molds, and that is the best way to go. But I know it would take a while + having to find an audiologist that can make the molds.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 11
TheGearLab is in the US and could ship by courier or USPS Priority if you asked. They're one place that sells them, there are many others but they have the best price I know of. I bought mine from somewhere else for $200, but that was 20 days ago and I still don't have it. They took 12 days just to ship it out, so they aren't getting a nod from me.
A W2 would trounce your ER6i with custom molds, but then you wouldn't have your custom fit.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 may suit. You'd have to confirm with someone else that their nozzle fits the Ety tri-flange, but they're definitely slimmer than UE from what I remember.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheGearLab is in the US and could ship by courier or USPS Priority if you asked. They're one place that sells them, there are many others but they have the best price I know of. I bought mine from somewhere else for $200, but that was 20 days ago and I still don't have it. They took 12 days just to ship it out, so they aren't getting a nod from me.
A W2 would trounce your ER6i with custom molds, but then you wouldn't have your custom fit.

I looked on The Gear Lab site, when I add to the cart it shows as $249. Is the price you're talking about something special for Head-Fi members or do you have to call to get it?

Earphone Solutions has them and if I order today their processing and shipping estimations says I should definitely have it by Friday. But it's $250 there.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Klipsch Custom 3.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF5 is wearable over the ears? I thought they are meant to be wear straight down.

Yes it can be worn over ear as the cable exits at near 90 degree angle from the body and closer to the ear than ER4. HF2 can't be worn that way due to the microphone pod.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked on The Gear Lab site, when I add to the cart it shows as $249. Is the price you're talking about something special for Head-Fi members or do you have to call to get it?

Earphone Solutions has them and if I order today their processing and shipping estimations says I should definitely have it by Friday. But it's $250 there.

E-mail them for the best price, I forgot to mention that. They have to show list price as they are an authorized seller, but they can give whatever price they want directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back