Need to replace my beyerdynamic dt770s - what's as good or better for under 300?
Apr 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JonIrenicus

New Head-Fier
These are going to be my jack of all trades headphones for my computer where I do everything from listen to music and play games to watch tv and movies, along with podcasts and the like.  The 770s served me well, they were slightly quite since my xonar dx soundcard did not have a dedicated headphone amp so I picked one of these desktop amps up which works nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004M172FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335331237&sr=8-1

So, now to the meat of it all, what is out there that sounds as good for general purpose headphones as the dt770s under 300?

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Denon D2000 for sure.

I have had the privilege to listen to one, and I think... it's a huge step up from DT770 in terms of openness and bass impact (especially bass impact).

Too bad they were just discontinued a few days ago. If not, I'd gladly pick a new pair up.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Denon D2000 for sure.

I have had the privilege to listen to one, and I think... it's a huge step up from DT770 in terms of openness and bass impact (especially bass impact).

Too bad they were just discontinued a few days ago. If not, I'd gladly pick a new pair up.

I ended up ordering a pair of dt880s for 240 @djdeals, seemed like a good price.  I might have liked to try the d2000s, but maybe next time.  I am curious to hear how the dt880s sound though, when I picked up my dt7702 from guitar center years ago, the sales guy tried to get me to go for the dt880s and was raving over them, but I did not want to spend over 300 dollars them on headphones.  I'll see if his ravings were justified.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

I ended up ordering a pair of dt880s for 240 @djdeals, seemed like a good price.  I might have liked to try the d2000s, but maybe next time.  I am curious to hear how the dt880s sound though, when I picked up my dt7702 from guitar center years ago, the sales guy tried to get me to go for the dt880s and was raving over them, but I did not want to spend over 300 dollars them on headphones.  I'll see if his ravings were justified.

The DT880 is very different from the DT770. First, it's an open design (no isolation), and second, it has a neutral frequency response, whereas the 770's have a V-shaped curve (emphasized bass and treble). 

Hopefully, that different FR will be to your liking. Just keep in mind it's a very different sound coming from the 770, especially in the low-end.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

The DT880 is very different from the DT770. First, it's an open design (no isolation), and second, it has a neutral frequency response, whereas the 770's have a V-shaped curve (emphasized bass and treble). 

Hopefully, that different FR will be to your liking. Just keep in mind it's a very different sound coming from the 770, especially in the low-end.

Looks like my order was updated to show they did not have stock, so it's time to either find another source for dt880s or go with another model.  I basically want a sort of... mini beyerdynamic teslas, the 1200 dollar headphones... but for under 300 or as close to that as possible.  I am trying to find some cans that are like that just... less of it for the lower price.

I want quality highs/mids/lows.  if the dt880s are more balanced that seems like a decent lower price option, though I hear the mids are a bit recessed in that model.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:

Looks like my order was updated to show they did not have stock, so it's time to either find another source for dt880s or go with another model.  I basically want a sort of... mini beyerdynamic teslas, the 1200 dollar headphones... but for under 300 or as close to that as possible.  I am trying to find some cans that are like that just... less of it for the lower price.

I want quality highs/mids/lows.  if the dt880s are more balanced that seems like a decent lower price option, though I hear the mids are a bit recessed in that model.

I've never heard the Teslas, so I can't speak to something that sounds like them. I've found that all the Beyers I've tried (770/880/990) present vocals in a very metallic-sounding way that I find really unpleasant. The 880 was the least offensive of the trio, but my preference is for a neutral or mid-centric can.

If you're looking for quality across the spectrum, I heartily recommend the AKG K550. I've had mine a couple of weeks, and I just love them. They didn't wow me off the bat, but as I've been listening to them over time, they've just completely won me over. Clean, crisp highs and tight, punchy bass. Just a really wonderful sound to my ears. They're surprisingly airy for a closed can.

Tyll at InnerFidelity actually rates the K550 as his top recommendation for closed cans: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:

DT880 600 Ohm is the closest to the Tesla models. In fact, I have read many Head-fi'er claim that the DT880 600 Ohm is actually better than the Tesla T1.

Personally, I think the T1 has a slightly more desirable sound than the DT880. Slightly warmer, slightly more bass, and slightly more extending high, but it's not a night and day difference.

But that is provided you can amp the DT880 600 Ohm satisfactorily. I'm quite certain you'll have to spend $300 or so on amp alone to make them shine.

Quote:

I've never heard the Teslas, so I can't speak to something that sounds like them. I've found that all the Beyers I've tried (770/880/990) present vocals in a very metallic-sounding way that I find really unpleasant. The 880 was the least offensive of the trio, but my preference is for a neutral or mid-centric can.

If you're looking for quality across the spectrum, I heartily recommend the AKG K550. I've had mine a couple of weeks, and I just love them. They didn't wow me off the bat, but as I've been listening to them over time, they've just completely won me over. Clean, crisp highs and tight, punchy bass. Just a really wonderful sound to my ears. They're surprisingly airy for a closed can.

Tyll at InnerFidelity actually rates the K550 as his top recommendation for closed cans: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

In the same review, Tyll also mentions the Denon DX000 series as being better. In my opinions, even if he doesn't consider the Denon D2000 a closed headphone, I think it qualifies as one for the most part.

And it's the most versatile I've heard. Warm mid, extending high, and thunderous bass, so much that it almost sounds like a theater full of subwoofers.

As an aside, the DT880 250 Ohm is indeed like you just described, but the 600 Ohm version actually sounds quite different.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

DT880 600 Ohm is the closest to the Tesla models. In fact, I have read many Head-fi'er claim that the DT880 600 Ohm is actually better than the Tesla T1.

Personally, I think the T1 has a slightly more desirable sound than the DT880. Slightly warmer, slightly more bass, and slightly more extending high, but it's not a night and day difference.

But that is provided you can amp the DT880 600 Ohm satisfactorily. I'm quite certain you'll have to spend $300 or so on amp alone to make them shine.

In the same review, Tyll also mentions the Denon DX000 series as being better. In my opinions, even if he doesn't consider the Denon D2000 a closed headphone, I think it qualifies as one for the most part.

And it's the most versatile I've heard. Warm mid, extending high, and thunderous bass, so much that it almost sounds like a theater full of subwoofers.

As an aside, the DT880 250 Ohm is indeed like you just described, but the 600 Ohm version actually sounds quite different.

I went with the AKG Q701 models instead, primarily due to reports of exceptional mid range quality which never really wowed me on the dt770s.  I might still try the dt880s later on though, or the newer denons whenever they refresh them, I "think" I can drive 600 ohm cans since I got a desktop amp, the fiio 9 amp, though it cost well under 300 dollars, I think I spent 130 on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back