Need to know what the Sennheiser HD 202 headphones are like???
Sep 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bpositive

New Head-Fier
I just recently bought some Koss UR 202 headphones and was VERY disappointed in them: Huge!, and AWFUL sound.

So, now I'm thinking about buying some Sennheiser HD 202 headphones. I've heard they have clear crisp sound, good bass, block out noise, and aren't overly expensive. (I'm on a budget) Any experience with them? What are they like?? Would you recommend them?

Thanks.
regular_smile%20.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 12
Can't tell you but I bought a pair of hd203 they are on ear not to my liking  sent them back veiled and muddy sounding but they didn't cost much .easy to drive plenty of bass though . Have a pair of KRK 6400's
and a pair of senn HD280 pro 's  both are  good phones I favor the KRK's though . YMMV. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I just recently bought some Koss UR 202 headphones and was VERY disappointed in them: Huge!, and AWFUL sound.

So, now I'm thinking about buying some Sennheiser HD 202 headphones. I've heard they have clear crisp sound, good bass, block out noise, and aren't overly expensive. (I'm on a budget) Any experience with them? What are they like?? Would you recommend them?

Thanks.
regular_smile%20.gif

i haven't heard the koss UR202 but i shall tell you my expererience with the hd202

they block out noise pretty good, their bass is quite powerful and decent (me like it over the hd558 modded bass), the treble can be a little sibliant at times. and vocals is soso. but compared to other $30 headphones this headphone performs very well, the bass is good and impactful, soundstage is pretty good, the treble isnt half bad as it can be sibliant at times, the vocals are pretty clear although a little plasticky and atrificial due to lacking warmph, 

comfort wise a lot of people complain about the tiny earpads what make this an on ear instead of an around ear (fortunately i can wear it as an overear) the grill on the inside is quite shallow so it might hurt over time. adding come cotton paddings to the back side under the earpad can really help the comfort and the soundstage (due to angled drivers)

just my 2 cents here
hope this helps^^

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 12
These are probably the cheapest full sized headphones (both in the low $30's) that are at least arguably good:

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-Precision-Sound-Headphones/dp/B0013OWPV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346669782&sr=8-1&keywords=JVC+HARX700%2C

and

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX&coliid=I16HB003BCGZ2V

They are far from great and may or may not be to individual taste in terms of sound signature. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 12
So, do they have that crisp sound with nice bass? These are two of the most important things I'm looking for, along with blocking out noise from both the inside and outside. Oh forgot to ask, are these the type of headphones where you need to crank up the volume pretty high just because they seem kind of quiet? I don't really like those type of headphones. (The Koss headphones did this.)

Half of me is kinda leaning towards them because alot of reviews say they have excellent crisp sound, but the other half of me isn't so sure because the negative reviews say they have "muddy" sound and the bass is weak. So........what do I believe?
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 12
Well, I used a pair of these for a couple or 3 years...so I'll give some of my impressions about them.
Quote:

Thanks.
regular_smile%20.gif

Clear crisp highs - I'd say they're merely adequate. Nothing spectacular here.
Good bass - I think the bass is "emphasized" a bit in these cans. They can hit pretty big and fairly low, but you will notice the muddiness/wooliness with the bass.
Block out noise - again, I'd say these are merely adequate. There's no "active" noise cancelling, but merely outside sound reduction from the sealed cans.
Aren't overly expensive - absolutely! especially if you live in the USA.

Also, if you live in an area that gets a cold winter, these things make great ear-muffs (during those cold times)!! I've got a small-normal sized head, and I have to put the Senn's on in just the right position, or they pinch and hurt my head, or just quickly become uncomfortable. These cans also provide a "heat seal" on my head, meaning that my ears sweat while using these, unless I'm using them as ear-muffs when it's cold outside.

IMO, the sound is "Adequate" at best and nothing more. If you can try them out before you buy, I'd suggest that!

Of course, this is all "relative" so YMMV.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
So, do they have that crisp sound with nice bass? These are two of the most important things I'm looking for, along with blocking out noise from both the inside and outside. Oh forgot to ask, are these the type of headphones where you need to crank up the volume pretty high just because they seem kind of quiet? I don't really like those type of headphones. (The Koss headphones did this.)

Half of me is kinda leaning towards them because alot of reviews say they have excellent crisp sound, but the other half of me isn't so sure because the negative reviews say they have "muddy" sound and the bass is weak. So........what do I believe?
confused_face_2.gif

the reviews are likely mixed based on comparisons to other headphones.

for example, the HD 202's were my first over-ear headphone, and I enjoyed them for the better part of a year. I did find that the ear cups were to small, and although they fit around my ears, they were a tight fit. Coming from cheap ear buds, I loved the boomy bass, the sound quality was a step up, and they were pretty comfortable. Great value for a $25 headphone.

however, now I have many more headphones that are not only much better than the HD 202's, but they are much more expensive. compared to those, the bass on the 202's is now muddy, the comfort (especially of the earpad size) isn't that great, the sound quality is terrible..... but this new perspective is based on a comparison to cans costing hundreds of dollars. so if your budget is $25, then these are a nice starter headphone. my next headphone upgrade was the Audio Technica M30 for $40, and these were much better than the 202's. then I went with the Beyer DT770 and after using those, both the 202's and the M30's didn't sound so great. get the picture?

what i'm saying is that you get what you pay for (usually). 202's are decent headphones for $25, but at that price, there will be problems with them. for around the same price I've read good reviews on the Monoprice 8323, though i'll mention that i've never tried them. read up on them and see what's best for you.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

You're asking for performance that is above your budget.  But yes--the Monoprice (which I have heard) are probably as close as you can get.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Hey OP,

I think this would be a lot easier if we knew two things:

1.  What kind of music do you listen to?

Feel free to be specific and list certain artists or bands.  And if you want to prioritize them by preference, that'd be cool too.

2.  What specifically bothers you about the UR-20?

I'm guessing you mean the UR-20 because I'm not sure there is such a thing as a UR-202.  Anyway, please try to be a little more specific than "awful sound" and "seem kind of quiet".  Don't worry about using geeky audiophile terminology, we'll handle that.  Just be as descriptive as you can about it (i.e. "bass seems weak", "sounds too sharp", "people sound far away", etc.).

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Hey OP,

I think this would be a lot easier if we knew two things:

1.  What kind of music do you listen to?

Feel free to be specific and list certain artists or bands.  And if you want to prioritize them by preference, that'd be cool too.

2.  What specifically bothers you about the UR-20?

I'm guessing you mean the UR-20 because I'm not sure there is such a thing as a UR-202.  Anyway, please try to be a little more specific than "awful sound" and "seem kind of quiet".  Don't worry about using geeky audiophile terminology, we'll handle that.  Just be as descriptive as you can about it (i.e. "bass seems weak", "sounds too sharp", "people sound far away", etc.).

I had the same question.  Can't find a UR 202.  The UR 20 are $17 cans.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I had the same question.  Can't find a UR 202.  The UR 20 are $17 cans.

I seem to vaguely remember there being a UR-22 model/variant at one time or another so it could swing that way as well.  Either way, just not enough infomation to go on in terms of what the OP finds deficient. 
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 12
i guess he got the senn HD202 and the UR20 mixed up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back