Need to find a LOUD CD player (new)
Dec 15, 2003 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to find a portable CD player that is loud.

Is there anything at all available new that isn't crippled in output sound level? Sound quality really is secondary (I mean it). This is for a gift for someone who has a slight hearing impairment. I really don't think a 5mw Sony or Panasonic is going to cut it.

This is for a person who absolutely would not want to fuss with external amps and extra batteries and cables. And it's a gift so the vintage players are not appropriate.

The ChromeX is sort of possible but MP3 is not going to be used and the battery life with audio CDs is reported to be pathetic.

Any ideas? Anyone heard any recent Philips players? Or???

Budget? Let's say anything up to $100, but $50 would be better.

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 10
I used to have a Lenoxx PCDP that cranked out 15x2 @32ohms. That thing could power a pair of Sennheiser HD580's with no problem! Had a line-out too, but it was kinda noisy. But who needed that with the built-in amp?

I think the model I had is now discontinued, but their current models are listed here. Check out their specs (see owners manual PDF) to find the ones that still have powerfull headphone outs. These can usually be found at Walmart, even though they are not listed on their website (I looked), and are under $50.

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Wow. the Lenoxx/Durabrand CD-85 is rated as 20+20mw. That's the only one on the Walmart web site. Maybe I'll run into the local walmart tomorrow and write down the model numbers of whatever they have in stock to research further.

Thanks jpelg!

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 10
Dude, you need a Sony D25S.

they don't make them anymore (circa '92) but I got a new one (NOS) off ebay earlier this year for like $50. The headphone amp is crazy. Very loud. Even powers my 250ohm BeyerDynamic Dt770's.

Dec 15, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
Dude, you need a Sony D25S.

they don't make them anymore (circa '92) but I got a new one (NOS) off ebay earlier this year for like $50. The headphone amp is crazy. Very loud. Even powers my 250ohm BeyerDynamic Dt770's.

I'm familiar with the vintage players. The supply of NOS D25s has dried up and used ones are selling for rediculous prices thees days. Besides, the batteries are hard to find, don't last long and the D25 doesn't have any skip resistance.

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi guys;

That Lennox CD50 looks suspiciously like a copy of my Panasonic SLS320, only with a 4 battery compartment and no lineout. Anyone have any experience on the things? Does it have the Panasonic style disc release button? How about sound quality - comparable to the Panny?

I love my SLS320, and was looking for something cheap to leave in the office (no way am I going to risk my beloved Panasonics....).

All the best,
Morse

Dec 15, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Morse
Hi guys;

That Lennox CD50 looks suspiciously like a copy of my Panasonic SLS320, only with a 4 battery compartment and no lineout. Anyone have any experience on the things? Does it have the Panasonic style disc release button? How about sound quality - comparable to the Panny?

I love my SLS320, and was looking for something cheap to leave in the office (no way am I going to risk my beloved Panasonics....).

All the best,
Morse

Internally who knows? I doubt it though, I have three no-name players that look almost EXACTLY like a CD3400 and they all sound like garbage!

Cloning a modern design may get them in trouble, going with old models is safer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks Dave;

Thinking about it, you're absolutely right - even if a company were to clone the exterior exactly, there's no guarantee that they've copied the interior (either well or poorly for that matter).

Sorry to read that you've had some bad luck with the no-names. Silly question - do they all sound "bad" in the same way, or do they all find different ways to mess up the sound (i.e. rolled off treble on one, gutless bass on another, and a sound so dry it makes the Gobi seem damp in comparison in the third, etc)?

All the best and Happy Holidays!
Morse

Dec 16, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 10
The 3400 look alikes that I have are two Fishers and a Sanyo... I've never heard a 3400, but the other three are somewhat grainy sounding, the line outs are terrible (slight L/R imbalance, rolled off highs), no skip protection, sound is much worse with an adapter than batteries (I would have never thought this would be the case - with an adapter the treble is really bright and hard sounding). Bass is OK but the Fishers have a slight dip in the midrange, the Sanyo is not that bad, but it sounds lifeless even compared to my recent 600 series Sony.

IMHO it's a real crapshoot with older models and no-names.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks, Davei;

Interesting.

As far as the harsh, grainy sound on equipment run from AC mains, that's a classic hallmark of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). My suspicion is that the manufacturer's omitted "X" caps and ferrite RFI filters to cut costs. FWIW, I've been working long and hard to get it minimised in my DIY valve amps and have just discovered that a chipamp I'm working on was being knocked into oscillation by it.

Anyway, to smooth out the sound of your no-names, start with a ferrite choke on the AC mains in. Parts Express stocks 'em for between $1 and $2 each, and Radio Shack has a $5 model and a two-pack of a different type for $8 (personally I would go with the two pack and use 'em both on the cord from the wall wart).

More aggressive filtering will yield better results. To improve bass response further, you could DIY a power supply for your portable using a power supply transformer with more "oomph" (actually AC current rating), and a DIY voltage regulator. LOTS of RFI filtering is recommended, obviously. "X" caps are all UL Listed for RFI use on AC mains and no other cap should EVER be used there, since it's a fire hazard.

If you're not a crazed DIY'er like me, don't sweat it - a couple of cheapie ferrite chokes will go a long way to improving your system's performance without much work.

Hope I didn't put you to sleep with all that...
All the best,
Morse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back