Need suggestions: Fully-balanced headphone amplifier (see criteria inside)
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ron12

Aka: HeadNroll
Aka: emertxe
Aka: MetalHoe
Aka: MHOE
Hi guys,

need help to find a versatile fully-balanced amplifier... I havent found any that would suite my criteria:

1) fully-balanced circuit
2) XLR inputs + XLR and single-ended headphone outputs
3) Absolutely no hiss and/or hum even w/ IEMs
4) At least 2W/ch (>= 500mA) into 32ohm
5) Warm to unfatiguingly neutral sound signature
6) Price up to 500USD (or 700USD MAX!)

I've examined options like Yulong A28, Firestone Bobby, Audio-GD NFB-6 but none of these seem to check all the boxes (A28 not for IEMs and not versatile enough for various full-size headphones, Bobby not great with orthodynamic headphones + analytical sound signature, NFB-6 sharp-sounding and far from musical/unfatiguing - that's what I gathered from reviews). There are some unbalanced options out there which look very good on paper (Lyr 2, Meier Classic, Lake People G109) but those are not fully-balanced which I feel is a must for me as I want to pair with my endgame and fully-balanced Yulong DA8.

I don't really feel that my DA8 is not good enough... It's actually very good, especially out of their balanced outputs. But DA8 is not usable with IEMs and other very sensitive headphones and it's not powerfull enough to warrant absolutely no troubles with hard-to-drive headphones + demanding music situations. Therefore I want to add a versatile amplifier just for absolute convenience.

Please help!!! Need your advise really...

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Save up some more mate, you won't find anything with all these features under 700 USD. You seem to be looking for something end-game, so you'll need to spend some end-game cash for it at some point.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
You will need to up your budget. I am actually in search of essentially the same exact criteria for my next amplifier and have found you will have to spend at least $1500, if not more.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 6
You will need to up your budget. I am actually in search of essentially the same exact criteria for my next amplifier and have found you will have to spend at least $1500, if not more.

Never going to spend as much... Rather going to stay with my DA8 then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back