Need suggestions for test tracks
Nov 7, 2008 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JonIrenicus

New Head-Fier
So far I only have one track I know of that I think might highlight something good and different when my denons arrive.

An old big band track called four of a kind by stan kenton. Lots of instruments, and solos to see how the headphone/speakers handle the sound.

my old Altec Lansing MX5021s handles the best, with the most separation. By regular T20s from creative are not even close and the sound is more muddled together. Same when there is a high pitched instrument played, my altecs with the tweeter performed better than the T20s, though the latter are decent.

So I have ONE track to test things whenever I get the c751s. Any others you all have in mind to really highlight things?

mids?
highs?
soundstage?
separation?
lows?
everything?
something else I missed?

I kind of want to fall into a music coma when I get the new iems, been a long time since I had decent audio.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 3
During my regular listening I kept an ear out for difficult-to-render stuff. So far though some examples of tracks I've picked:

Hiromi - (Anything, as it's mostly straight piano)
Sara K. - Requisite female vocals, but also her guitar.
The Gotan Project - "Paris, Texas" off of Lunatico. Piano at the end for checking detail. Can you hear the decaying tones of the strings?
Jeff Buckley - The Grace EPs. Excellent recordings.
Van Halen - Year to the Day from VH3 - guitar at the beginning, soundstage and separation. Unlike their early stuff, the recordings were good on this album so what you can glean out of their studio environs reveals a lot.
Linn Records - Any SACD or 24/96 FLAC of your choice. I picked choral and orchestral works for the usual reasons.
The Crystal method - Community Service II: bass, deep bass, deep detailed bass and "Does this rig rock my socks?" factor.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 3
Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity

Excellent album with great sounds. A lot of details hidden in the tracks, if you pay attention there is a whole lot to discover. "Ribbon on a branch" and "Psychic Gibbon" are two tracks worthy of special mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back