Need suggestion on a SMALL desktop amp/DAC to drive HD 650 + Ety ER-4PT
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dillydally

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, as the title suggests I need recommendations on a small USB DAC + desktop amp to drive my Sennheiser 650 and Ety ER-4 IEMs through my laptop. It needs to be small because I plan on taking it with me when I go abroad soon and I won't have much desk space. I want something that's solid state (no tubes), sounds neutral, and is <$400 but I can go up to $500 if need be.

So far I've looked into the Predator (http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator) which is priced a little high for me at $475 but has everything I want. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 7
If you want to spend up to $400 you can get the CEntrance DACport, which is completely USB powered and pretty small.  It's arguably a waste of money, but for $400 it's probably the thing to get if you're thinking small and portable.  The caveat is that it has a ~10 ohms output impedance which means in theory it won't be that completely neutral with the ER-4, since the highest treble will be emphasized slightly.  Actually, note that this is a slight bump towards what the ER-4S is.

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/centrance_dacport_usb_headphone_amplifier

Yes it has enough power for HD 650.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Using a laptop defeats the portable perspective!

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 7
I too would love an awesome sounding portable usb feed hp amp with dac from usb (asynchronous).
I have search it and realize that it's impossible to get it cheap. Also even for the 500$ offerings and higher there are serious downsides.
The RSA are some of the best looking and probably sounding units out there. But I would prefer a Meier Audio Jazz amplifier, it doesn't have a DAC. Maybe a cheap DAC with the Meier would fit the bill?
In EU, the RSA are expensive with taxes and shipment fees, but they look so sexy! Their warranty looks first class too!
Still I trust Meier for being better and as a stand alone amp would be up there!

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 7
The iBasso D12, DB2 are recommended.......

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 7
What I don't like with those product is lack of long term reliability. Bought a chinese USB to spdif convertor praised on headfi that just broke in three months... money thrown away..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back