Need speakers to run off my S.E.X. Amp
Aug 8, 2006 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

departures

Head-Fier
S.E.X. Amp

Like the title says I'm looking for some speakers to run off my S.E.X. amp. I'm looking to spend around $300 - $400 maybe more. They'll be sitting on my desk fairly close to me, nearfield monitor style. I'm fairly lost in speaker land and I live in Santa Barbara CA so most of the places around here that sell audio equipment only sell high end gear. PLEASE HELP
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 18
You need something very efficient to drive with the S.E.X. It only puts out about 2W. Your main choices are either an efficient horn system or a full-range driver setup. For your budget, a full-ranger is probably your best bet.

Have you considered building your own? Do you have access to a wood shop? If so, nose around here for awhile:

http://fullrangedriver.com/

Also in your budget would be a pair of Moth Audio Cicadas. You can find them here:

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/cicadaspeakers.htm

And the Stereophile review of them is here:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/104moth/

Another pair of good drivers in your budget is the Jordan JX92S. You can buy a pair here:

http://www.markaudio.com/speaker_jordan.php

You can also find Fostex drivers in your budget, and I think:

http://www.diyparadise.com

has some Coral drivers still in stock. If you're interested in cabinets as well, take a look here:

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/

They also sell their own line of Audio Nirvana full rangers.

If you're new to full rangers, don't be put off by the lack of woofers, tweeters, crossovers, etc. A very simple speaker can sound far better than you expect. Assuming you like headphones, you'll like the coherent crossover-free sound they give you. So take a look around. If you like them but might have trouble with the woodwork, post again and I'll give you a list of suggestions.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the all suggestions! WOW! Unfortunately I don't have access to a woodshop, and I don't have the time. Full time college student with a part time job! An yes I do love headphones. Listening to my hd650 and S.E.X. amp as I type!

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 18
Could always find a woodworker to do the cabinets. Plenty of people on audiogon or someone like Stein Audio. Better yet, Eric Alexander of Tekton Design is frequently letting fostex systems go very cheap on ebay (or can contact him and have him do something very nice for you within that budget).

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 18
The Noogis you just listed are rated at 84 db, and the site mentions using a 50 watt amp on them.

"Effecient" speaker systems, frequenly using a "full range" driver, possible a tweeter as well, tend to be costly. The drivers have big magnets, and long throw coils, and are a good bit more expensive than standard drivers. The enclosure also has be be very well done, solid, and voiced to sound well with the particular driver.

There are a couple of speaker pairs under $700 on the decware.com site. They specialize in the low watt designer amps like the S.E.X.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio speakers with a 90ish db level, and hope to play with an amp under 10 watts for them one day.

For your needs, and price range, consider some of the Klipsch speakers. Some of them have very nice db ratings, and they are not outrageously expensive. I consider them a bit bright without a subwoofer to even them out, but they are mentioned frequently in "high efficiency" discussions. The brightness will probably sound better with your smooth tubed amp. I have never listened to these speakers with a nice amp like yours.

Get something you can live with for now, you will need to upgrade your speakers someday, but get something that you can afford, and move easily. You can always take up speaker building, or buy more expensive ones some other day. I tried to build an abby clone, and after listening to them, decided to keep my day job. (then I got my current speakers)

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 18
Sorry to be off topic but I was reading the link you had in the first post and noticed that they mentioned being around the Puget Sound which is where I am. Then I noticed that their contact number's area code was 360 which is my area code. I think they may be in olympia washington like me. Do you remember where your amp parts were shipped from? I'd like to get to know these people but am too shy to just up a phone them.

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 18
Can anyone talk about Klipsch brand speakers? The last time I searched the internet there seemed to be a mixed review about the Klipsch. The reviews I was reading were about he RB-15, 25, 35. The Klipsch website has them in the discontinued area so does anyone know about the new ones out? I just finally have the money to buy something that's better then these really crappy computer speakers so I want to make a fairly educated buy. Thanks to everyone whose responded so far!

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 18
If you don't have time to build cabinets, check around to see if there is a local woodworking shop or lumber store. Most of them will cut wood and/or MDF to your specifications if you give them a "mill bill." Going rates are from $1 to $3 per cut and sometimes they'll bill you by the hour, usually $40-$60 or so. The other benefit here is that they have *really* nice pro equipment- better than what most serious home woodworkers have. You'll get clean, perfect cuts. And for building a simple box with one driver hole routed out, expect to pay $30-$60 for it. Really not that bad. MDF is cheap, probably $10-$20 per sheet, and one sheet will be enough for a pair of speakers.

After you get it cut, you can glue it up yourself with a couple of clamps and glue. Maybe another $20 there. And the simplest finish is to fill any rough spots with Bondo and finish with spraypaint- flat black enamel is easiest. So for maybe another $100, you can half DIY the cabinets. It will save you a lot of money and you'll get good results.

If there isn't a woodworking/lumber yard in your city, look for woodworkers in the phone book. You can also call some of the local contractors. If they're on site, they will have a tablesaw set up and they *will* be taking a truck somewhere that sells MDF. I'm sure if you asked nicely and paid them, they'd pick up the MDF for you and cut it.

So don't give upon DIY. The rule of thumb in the audio industry is that the cost of parts is about 20% of the final price. You can go a long ways with your money here.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by departures
Can anyone talk about Klipsch brand speakers? The last time I searched the internet there seemed to be a mixed review about the Klipsch. The reviews I was reading were about he RB-15, 25, 35. The Klipsch website has them in the discontinued area so does anyone know about the new ones out? I just finally have the money to buy something that's better then these really crappy computer speakers so I want to make a fairly educated buy. Thanks to everyone whose responded so far!

I think people are talking about older Klipsch speakers. From what I've heard, most of the current Klipsch speakers are mass market junk. From a brief look, I'd look at stuff in their Heritage line. My dad has a pair of Hersey II's from the mid 80's that are pretty efficient (and sound excellent to my ears).

Aug 10, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncourt
Sorry to be off topic but I was reading the link you had in the first post and noticed that they mentioned being around the Puget Sound which is where I am. Then I noticed that their contact number's area code was 360 which is my area code. I think they may be in olympia washington like me. Do you remember where your amp parts were shipped from? I'd like to get to know these people but am too shy to just up a phone them.

I have this amplifier.

I have nothing but god words about their service, except for the delay in getting the kit, which is to be expected (check their policies). Once I got the kit, I started to build it and it went fine. At some point, I blew up the power transformer. A few exchanges on their forum, and a call resolved the whole thing: replacement parts free of charge, although the mistakes were mine...

Excellent service, I must repeat.

I am using a pair of Fostex 206es-r on open baffle and I am quite happy. They rate at 98db and are generous with this amp. I am hoping to build the recommended enclosures in the next few months, but I am quite impressed so far.

Happy listening!

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 18
This is exactly what I was talking about. The sensitivity might be a little low for your application but he can do the similar systems with different drivers that will meet your needs well within your price range.

(I asked him to build me a pair and asked for 2 terminals, one to bypass the circuit, based on this driver with that veneer - personally I think they are drop dead gorgeous and was incredibly satisfied with the price - I'll post reviews if anyone is interested).

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #15 of 18
jrosenth please post your review! I'm not in a super hurry so I'll take my time and do all the research I can, up until I want to pull out all my hair from information overload. I do want to get rid of these things on my desk that are passing for speakers! I think when the time is right for a DIY project I'll thinking about buliding some Orions from http://www.linkwitzlab.com/. I've heard them and they are amazing! Of course my high end speaker listening has been very limited so I don't really know how they stack up against other speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back