Need something more "fun" than the HD650
Dec 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tozz

New Head-Fier
I currently have the HD650 connected to a Nuforce Icon HDP and while they sound great, they're a bit too neutral for my tastes. They're very comfortable and I will probably still use them for some kinds of music, but I want something that has a bit more character. Something with a bit darker bass and more playfulness while still maintaining a high quality.

I hope I make some sense :)

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
I currently have the HD650 connected to a Nuforce Icon HDP and while they sound great, they're a bit too neutral for my tastes. They're very comfortable and I will probably still use them for some kinds of music, but I want something that has a bit more character. Something with a bit darker bass and more playfulness while still maintaining a high quality.

Read you loud and clear ~ 3 different suggestions

Beyerdynamic DT990-600 (Your HDP will drive them, I've tried it out with my pair)
 Grado 325i or Grado PS500
 Ultrasone Pro 2900

The Grado's will give you a lively presentation for rock, the PS500 will offer up good impact.

Beyer DT990 and Pro 2900 are fun cans, nicely coloured for electronic music and pop.

Big deep bass on both.

Others might suggest the Denon D2000.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Much appreciated!

The Ultrasone is probably a no go in Sweden, seems to be very limited (nobody with them in stock). The DT990 looks promising, especially if they go well with electronic music and pop, and the custom builder they have on their home page is awesome (it's always nice to get a personal touch). The DT990 has size to its advantage vs the Grados, I have a big head and wear glasses so the big velour pads would probably be good fit.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 16
FA-003.....listening out of a well
Or audio technic a w5000 raffatino...big warm sounding with an occasional honkiness
Or my TDK ST700...spacey.

How's that for fun...:D

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 16
Maybe Denon D7000
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I looked at the D5000, expensive, and I doubt the HDP is good enough for that level of headphones, but I could be wrong :)

Yep wrong 
smile.gif

D2000, D5000, D7000 - all relatively easy to drive - HDP has very decent grunt up until 300ohms and even beyond

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
 Yep wrong 
smile.gif

D2000, D5000, D7000 - all relatively easy to drive - HDP has very decent grunt up until 300ohms and even beyond

Always nice to be wrong when it saves you money :)

I really hate that we have such a limited and vendor isolated market in Sweden, finding a place with a good selection is impossible, everyone focus on a few brands only which makes it really hard to compare stuff.. oh well. Right now I'm looking at testing the D5000 and the DT990.

Edit:
Guess I misspelled Ultrasone or something, they actually have them at the same place as the DT990's, might as well check them out then, seems a bit small though?

Thanks again for the tips.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 16
So, I tested the D5000 and was severely disappointed, they felt a bit muddy, more bass than the HD650 but I found it lacking in control. I also tested the DT990 and those were more to my liking, the bass felt punchier and more enjoyable. The two systems were totally different and the D5000 had a clear penalty, but that was what was available.

Currently looking at ordering a custom built DT990 just for the fun of it :)

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
So, I tested the D5000 and was severely disappointed, they felt a bit muddy, more bass than the HD650 but I found it lacking in control. I also tested the DT990 and those were more to my liking, the bass felt punchier and more enjoyable. The two systems were totally different and the D5000 had a clear penalty, but that was what was available.

Currently looking at ordering a custom built DT990 just for the fun of it :)

That's exactly what they are - fun 
smile.gif

The DT880 is the serious sibling but the DT990 is for when you don't care for neutrality and just want to have a colored good time!

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 16
just get an inexpensive Hisoundaudio RooCoo-P...
the D5000 will a happy can,
i tried it on the d2000 n d7000..both were clear and  punching its weight.
the d7000 having a slight edge, but of cos.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

Got what you mean :]...i hope nobody is gonna boom me but i will recommend you buying  KOSS KSC75...it is really more fun with that headphone, it is so cheap, you don't have to worry which headphone stand will break it. it can be mod easily and you can recable it yourself, after all, what is more fun than DIY 
gs1000.gif
. the sound are good enough for normal listening and the open back design and ear hook means that you can wear it and talk to your wife without taking them off your head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back