Need something cheap
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheMafioso

Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm looking pair of earphones for my phone (Nokia e50) for casual listening. Don't want somethin expensive, as I often tend to lose 'em, probably $10-$20 or cheaper
biggrin.gif
. I listen mostly to classic rock and prog rock and also hip hop sometimes...I would prefer somethin which has good bass..

I was thinking of getting Creative EP630, as it is available locally (i'm not from US), but for the price its available at, I think i can get somethin better shipped internationally...

So here are my choices on which i've decided so far, by looking around here for sometime:
1. Creative ep630
2. JVC Marshmallows
3. Koss KSC-75 which will also do as I won't be needing noise isolation...

So which one among these or Any others ? I would be mostly buying of ebay(i know little risky, but I don't have much choices due to shipping issues), so please suggest something which is easily available
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 17
You seem to have a nice grasp of your situation. Those 3 are the best in your price range. I can't think of anything to add. Now alot of other people will probably talk you into buying something more expensive.

Edit: Beware of fake ep630!!!!!!

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 17
If you don't mind buds you could get Sennheiser MX500 or MX450.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 17
The KSC-75 is so far better than the other options here that it shouldn't even be in the same category. If you can take the ugliness, the relative bigness, and the open back, it's the only choice.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 17
^I think it would be mainly b/w marshmallows and ksc75..
I don't mind all that on ksc75 but is the bass on koss strong ? do remember the source is not of excellent quality...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind buds you could get Sennheiser MX500 or MX450.

Somehow buds keep falling from my ears, so don't want 'em unless they are significantly better from alternatives
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMafioso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I think it would be mainly b/w marshmallows and ksc75..
I don't mind all that on ksc75 but is the bass on koss strong ?

the bass has good impact but it is a bit muddy.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 17
I prefer the KSC75s stock or modded over the Marshmallows. They don't sound as muddy as the Marshmallows do...but you might like the muddiness, so who knows. Then if you get bored, you can mod them with some new cables, added resistance, and quarter mod the pads...so many options...so fun!

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 17
guys, another issue...I've realised that nokia e50 isn't a very powerful source and volume output is low when tested with nokia own headset (from another phone)...i guess, i'll be needing noise isolation as well...so no koss for me
frown.gif

Now I wanna know, the JVC has sensitivity of 93db/mW while ep630 is rated at 106 db/mW, though I wouldn't be surprised if creative has bloated the spec...
What do you guys think should i go with ep630 or output on jvc will also do..?

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 17
I had a pair of Mallows (that broke, sadly) that I Kramer modded as per the instructions on his thread (very simple), and I enjoyed them quite a bit. Not as good as the Koss in my opinion, but if you want isolation, they do a great job. The stock sound was pretty nice too.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 17
^^yes, i do realize that koss is the better choice, infact I was just about to order it when I realised that my phone maximum output volume is low...

SO now i gotta choose b/w ep630 and marshmallows...is 93db/mW on jvc good enough to be used with low output source? if any1 has any experience in this regard..do share soon, i gotta order 'em today..

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMafioso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^yes, i do realize that koss is the better choice, infact I was just about to order it when I realised that my phone maximum output volume is low...

SO now i gotta choose b/w ep630 and marshmallows...is 93db/mW on jvc good enough to be used with low output source? if any1 has any experience in this regard..do share soon, i gotta order 'em today..

... that's exactly what I just talked about. The Mallows seem to to quite well, even under low output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back