Need Something Better Than My SteelSeries 7H
Aug 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
Umm.. ya idk what that means... :3

I am just looking for something that is good for referencing, Electro House music, when I produce it... I need some closed ear cans, with good low end, and some what high... I don't want a lot of high, where it's colored, like consumer cans... 

So to sum it up:

1. Referencing/Producing/Live Set Play
2. Good Low End
3. Closed Ear

"V-shaped", also called "smiley eq" or "scooped mids", refers to the shape of an equalizer when you turn up the bass and treble and turn down the stuff in the middle. When someone calls a speaker "v-shaped" they mean that it sounds like it was EQ'd this way.

"V-shaped" makes the sound seem "wide" because of the emphasis on two opposite extremes and the big valley in the middle, but even though it makes you want to dance it's commonly avoided for recording and mixing applications. If you mix with a "v-shaped" speaker as a reference, your final track could end up with anemic bass and treble. "Pushed mids" is the opposite and looks like a frown instead of a smile. The ideal for recording is "flat". Hypothetically a perfectly flat speaker wouldn't molest the sound at all, but perfect flatness doesn't exist.

That's not as much of an issue in electronica since you don't have separately recorded instruments and mics fighting over space in the mix and generally hear exactly that the end-listener would hear from the start, but you still have to be careful.

My Shures and M-Audios both walk a thin line between being accurate enough to record with and having artificially "woofer-like" bass, but they're each in the $150 range. Maybe the SRH440 ($70) would be worth a look.

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

"V-shaped", also called "smiley eq" or "scooped mids", refers to the shape of an equalizer when you turn up the bass and treble and turn down the stuff in the middle. When someone calls a speaker "v-shaped" they mean that it sounds like it was EQ'd this way.

"V-shaped" makes the sound seem "wide" because of the emphasis on two opposite extremes and the big valley in the middle, but even though it makes you want to dance it's commonly avoided for recording and mixing applications. If you mix with a "v-shaped" speaker as a reference, your final track could end up with anemic bass and treble. "Pushed mids" is the opposite and looks like a frown instead of a smile. The ideal for recording is "flat". Hypothetically a perfectly flat speaker wouldn't molest the sound at all, but perfect flatness doesn't exist.

That's not as much of an issue in electronica since you don't have separately recorded instruments and mics fighting over space in the mix and generally hear exactly that the end-listener would hear from the start, but you still have to be careful.

My Shures and M-Audios both walk a thin line between being accurate enough to record with and having artificially "woofer-like" bass, but they're each in the $150 range. Maybe the SRH440 ($70) would be worth a look.

So the SRH440s are pretty good for audio referencing, in both studio, and live set play? 

I need cans that are good in my studio, and when I play live... :3

*NOTE* Those lose wires on the side, have me worried a bit... When I play live, I will be bobbing around, and getting into the music, so I don't want to rip that wire out... lol... Do I have to worry?

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 33
The Shures have very good build quality. However, if the 440s are as big as the 840s, I wouldn't want to bob my head around with them too much for fear of them flying off and killing someone. For some reason that "build a bulletproof headphone then dangle 2 fragile wires externally" thing seems to be in vogue, but the overall package is quite durable from what I can tell.

As a side note... I rescind my recommendation of the M-Audios for.. anything
I just took them out for a listen to see if my above statement was accurate and the paper-thin ear pad seems to be disintegrating after a whopping 2 days of ownership. The cable also cut out briefly when I tilted my head a certain way. As a bonus, the M-Audio Fast Track interface I ordered with them doesn't work after 5 hours of use either (and the Tascam I already had sounds 10x better).

Pure quality.. Oh well they're going home to Amazon now. Shame because the Q-40s sounded very good.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
The Shures have very good build quality. However, if the 440s are as big as the 840s, I wouldn't want to bob my head around with them too much for fear of them flying off and killing someone. For some reason that "build a bulletproof headphone then dangle 2 fragile wires externally" thing seems to be in vogue, but the overall package is quite durable from what I can tell.

As a side note... I rescind my recommendation of the M-Audios for.. anything
I just took them out for a listen to see if my above statement was accurate and the paper-thin ear pad seems to be disintegrating after a whopping 2 days of ownership. The cable also cut out briefly when I tilted my head a certain way. As a bonus, the M-Audio Fast Track interface I ordered with them doesn't work after 5 hours of use either (and the Tascam I already had sounds 10x better).

Pure quality.. Oh well they're going home to Amazon now. Shame because the Q-40s sounded very good.

So do you recommend anything else over the SRH440s?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #23 of 33
Ultrasones have incredible (mindblowing) low end, would stay on your head on a rollercoaster, and are built like they'll outlive you (metal cups and no dangly wires) but they're the last headphones I would ever want to record with because every mix sounds like a wall of subwoofers. I think the Shures are really nice "all-arounders" for what you want as long as the 440s are lighter than the 840s. I have't had the chance to try the CADs others have suggested.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
Ultrasones have incredible (mindblowing) low end, would stay on your head on a rollercoaster, and are built like they'll outlive you (metal cups and no dangly wires) but they're the last headphones I would ever want to record with because every mix sounds like a wall of subwoofers. I think the Shures are really nice "all-arounders" for what you want as long as the 440s are lighter than the 840s. I have't had the chance to try the CADs others have suggested.

I might get the CAD's unless I can find something better, cause they look to be the best for sound quality.. No offense to the Shures, but who am I to say, I have never tried either one, I am just going off of reviews, and opinions...

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #29 of 33
I've never tried any KRKs but they have a reputation for lacking bass

Have you considered buying a dedicated headphone for recording/mixing and a cheaper/lighter weight "beater" for live performance? Just an idea

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
I've never tried any KRKs but they have a reputation for lacking bass

Have you considered buying a dedicated headphone for recording/mixing and a cheaper/lighter weight "beater" for live performance? Just an idea

Don't really have the cash at the moment to do that, and I plan on playing a set in the next month or so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back