Need some workshop headphones.
Feb 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

strangedaze39

Member of the Trade: HeadCoverage
Hey thought you guys could help on this one. I spend alot of time in my workshop. And I would enjoy some music while I work, but will NO WAY take my modded SR225's in there.

So I'm looking for a the best headphone that falls into these categories:

[size=medium]1.[/size] Can withstand saw dust and other crap (this probably throws open cans out the window)

[size=medium]2.[/size] Cheap enough if I ended up ripping the cord off them I wouldn't be upset

[size=medium]3.[/size] Comfortable, and light are always good, my Grados don't bother me one bit, so I'm not to sensitive.

[size=medium]4.[/size] Last but possibly the most important, GREAT sound.

So if anyone has any recommendations, personal stories, or knows what to do I would love to hear them.

Thanks for you time guys
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 11
On the dirt cheap side, something that will meet all of your requirements is the Sennheiser HD-201.

1. I've used them in blowing wind and snow storms so if it can survive the snow being thrown at them, I think sawdust is manageable

2. They are dirt cheap

3. Comfort is always relative, but the Senn. HD201 is not particularly uncomfortable IMO, and it's rather light for a circumaural headphone

4. It has great sound with an amp in line, but even without it, the sound quality should be good enough for the shop environment.

There was also a very recent thread (last couple of days) about the Koss SB40 being a good budget can at around $30. I haven't personally tried it, but if it is anything like the Koss UR29 I used to use regularly, the first 3 of your requirements should be met by it as well. Like I said though, I haven't tried it so I wouldn't be able to offer any further info on any of your 4 parameters of requirement.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks appophylite for your fast response ! The HD-201 sounds like a great choice and tough if they made it through a blizzard.

Still open to any suggestions everyone. Hopefully like can get a anonymous winner if I'm lucky.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Try some earbuds/IEMs, and then put big ear muffs over top of them.

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to get some IEMs to block out some of the shop sounds, they can damage your hearing. They'll also do well in terms of sawdust and such, as long as you keep them in you ears. What do you think?

I was thinking along the same line, but one should make sure that they don't block out too much HF noise. If you've ever had the experience, (which is not fun), you'll know that a blade (Table Saw, Miter, Radial, Ect) will make a quick HF "Ting" before it breaks. Hearing that can be the difference between getting out of the way and getting hurt.

Just a word of caution from a worry-wart
wink.gif

NK

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I'm looking for a the best headphone that falls into these categories:

[size=medium]1.[/size] Can withstand saw dust and other crap (this probably throws open cans out the window)

[size=medium]2.[/size] Cheap enough if I ended up ripping the cord off them I wouldn't be upset

[size=medium]3.[/size] Comfortable, and light are always good, my Grados don't bother me one bit, so I'm not to sensitive.

[size=medium]4.[/size] Last but possibly the most important, GREAT sound.

So if anyone has any recommendations, personal stories, or knows what to do I would love to hear them.

Your search is over. The Sennheiser HD25 is your answer. I have used them and seen them used in numerous workshops, studios, field shoots, etc. Can outlast you, are virtually indestructible, sound absolutely fantastic, and are easy to clean and keep clean. Sound wise they are still rated as one of the best set of cans ever created.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Any time I use power tools or other loud machinery, I use IEMs under Peltor ear muffs. As far as hearing a HF ting before a blade breaks, I think any hearing protection is going to block that. High frequencies are more damaging than low. Good hearing protection eliminates much more of the high frequencies. And if your not using hearing protection, you won't hear the high frequencies after a few years anyway.
biggrin.gif

What ever you use, run the cord under your shirt. You don't want the cord caught in the power tool.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 11
x2 on the cord in the shirt thing scompton....

I was remodeling the kitchen in my last house and had cast a concrete
countertop and while buffing it out....the buffer grabbed the cord of my atrio m5's and ripped them out and completely destroyed them. One driver flew so far I never found it! Luckily I wasn't hurt.

On topic.. I have dealt with this issue many times as I like to listen to music while I am woodworking, welding etc. As a couple of previous posters have suggested the best method I have found is to get some fairly low profile iems and then put the large cup type hearing protectors over them. This has an enormous sound blocking quality while simultaneously protecting your earphones!

Oh yeah...and tuck your cord inside your shirt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back