Need some suggestions on a music player
Aug 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #31 of 43

Quote:
Would you?

Of course. If they player doesn't sound as good as I had hoped, or I don't think it is $400-$800 worth of good I'd sell it.
I have no reason what so ever to defend a product that doesn't satisfy me.

Also using the excuse that people can't afford to buy every product to hear it for themselves.
Whilst I respect this statement, you have to accept that you should comment on it's quality until you've listened/seen one yourself.
Reviews can be handy to determine if you think a player is worth trying, but don't love it or hate it until you have.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 43
Good for you!

re: relying on reviews
True - an assessment can really only be performed by the listener. Unfortunately time (for most of us) and $ (for most of us) limits the DAPs we can audition, movies that we can see, etc.

Objective reviewers (who have the time - lucky them!) provide an invaluable service. I haven't made a judgement about the HM-801, but I trust dftk's judgement. That's the best I can do.

Quote:
Of course. If they player doesn't sound as good as I had hoped, or I don't think it is $400-$800 worth of good I'd sell it.
I have no reason what so ever to defend a product that doesn't satisfy me.

Also using the excuse that people can't afford to buy every product to hear it for themselves.
Whilst I respect this statement, you have to accept that you should comment on it's quality until you've listened/seen one yourself.
Reviews can be handy to determine if you think a player is worth trying, but don't love it or hate it until you have.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #33 of 43

Quote:
As far as I know, iTunes doesn't recognize anything but iPods.
Only a few of the competitors will play Apple Lossless. files.

Your best bet would be to wait a few weeks and check out the new iPods Apple will be announcing. All will meet your requirements and work fine with your new headphones.

that is correct 

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 43
Cowon J3,.............the Anythingbutipod.com review is in the works, and the SQ is fantastic (I own 1).

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #36 of 43
Does different ipod have discernible sound quality? I know classic is biggest so probably has the best amp but are they noticeable?

Do you think they sound better than the ipod touch or the nano unamped?

I might get myself either a nano or classic when they announce the new line this september.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #37 of 43
+1 Cowon S9

3110093691_aac877c5b1.jpg

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #38 of 43

Quote:
Does different ipod have discernible sound quality? I know classic is biggest so probably has the best amp but are they noticeable?

Do you think they sound better than the ipod touch or the nano unamped?

I might get myself either a nano or classic when they announce the new line this september.

Newer iPods sound terrible, electronic, and full of distortion and crackling... their EQ is poorly implemented, and only detracts from the SQ. Anything by Cowon, however, sounds fine with a normal EQ and when you do decide to use the EQ, there is simply no other player that can compete with them.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
Newer iPods sound terrible, electronic, and full of distortion and crackling... their EQ is poorly implemented, and only detracts from the SQ. Anything by Cowon, however, sounds fine with a normal EQ and when you do decide to use the EQ, there is simply no other player that can compete with them.

Are you talking about ipod nanos? because the latest version of ipod classic does not have those problems

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:
Anything by Cowon, however, sounds fine with a normal EQ and when you do decide to use the EQ, there is simply no other player that can compete with them.

really ? That quite a broad statement
The walkman  A & X series have quite a respectable custom EQ and they dont support AAC (standard iTunes downloads)

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #41 of 43
They do play aac if I remember correctly but not supported officially.

Also I don't agree that every single Cowon is amazing. I owned the D2+ and never liked it much. It was a bit better with EQ but they still had their problems to my ears mainly a bass issue.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #42 of 43
It looks like it may support AAC in video, but not in m4a audio, so that means transcoding iTunes songs
frown.gif
(unless there has been a firmware update since the thread below.

Heres the thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447756/cowon-s9-compatible-with-itunes-time-crunch-answer-request-if-not-what-should-i-use

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #43 of 43
Well that's what you get for buying from the apple store if you did in fact buy from itunes :p

I have everything in mp3 or flac so things like that don't come up for me but it does suck about that kind of format however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back