Need Some Speakers ($300 Budget)
Aug 10, 2011 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grimzz R

New Head-Fier
I could go a little over $300 is its worth it.

I'm not looking for massive bass. I do not want one sound distorting another. Basically, I want to hear one instrument clearly but I don't want to hear another instrument unclearly....if that makes sense.

I would be using them for variety of music, and also movies.

It does not need to be 2.1, it could be regular stereo if that has the best sound quality.

I currently have the Audio-GD NFB-5 and I may use this as a source if it works properly.

Thanks for the help

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Behringer Truth B3030A's  are 165 each on Amazon.

They're active studio monitors so you can use them direct out of out your NFB5 and don't need to worry about an amplifier. You will need a RCA to 1/4" adapters or cables (they only take 1/4" or XLR).

I'm running their bigger brother (the B3031A) with a NFB10 and I'm very very impressed. Sound better than my HD650s for sure.

Pro audio gear dominates home theater stuff value for money wise IMO.

Edit - Behringer has a pretty low reputation but these speakers are an exception - read reviews, not sure if these many for the B3030A but there are for the B3031A.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I could go a little over $300 is its worth it.

I'm not looking for massive bass. I do not want one sound distorting another. Basically, I want to hear one instrument clearly but I don't want to hear another instrument unclearly....if that makes sense.

I would be using them for variety of music, and also movies.

It does not need to be 2.1, it could be regular stereo if that has the best sound quality.

I currently have the Audio-GD NFB-5 and I may use this as a source if it works properly.

Thanks for the help

yeah, that makes perfectly sense to me. but $300? forget it. better buy a nice pair of headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 9
You may want to keep an eye out for a used pair of small Tekton speakers. They make use of Fostex full range drivers and sound quite excellent for near-field applications. The wattage requirements are also relatively low. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 9
M-Audio CX5s are now $140/ea from dealers like Sweetwater. If you need an amplifier as well, that's where I'd put my money. You can get a decent pair of used "bookshelf" speakers for $300, but if you need an integrated amp too in that budget that's going to be near impossible to beat the active monitors.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
yeah, that makes perfectly sense to me. but $300? forget it. better buy a nice pair of headphones.

I already have the HD650 and the NFB-5.

What would it cost to have speakers with the non-distorting thing I mentioned?

I'm not trying to throw the roof off my place, Volume is going to be relatively low so I believe the NFB-5 would power the speakers decently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back