Need some small for notes
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pen and paper are no fun, especially for 'gadget guys'.

Get a PDA.

Have you ever had the pleasure of owning a fine fountain pen?

I've tried a number of PDAs, laptops and carry an iPhone. For notes, I stick with legal pads, 3x5 cards and a fountain pen. Nothing is faster or more versatile. It's faster to take notes and type them later than to try to enter them on a PDA on the fly.

May I suggest a Parker 51? Look for an aerometric model.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pen and paper are no fun, especially for 'gadget guys'.

Well, PDAs are a dying breed, usurped by smartphones.

Others have talked about fountain pens, but there are ways to indulge in geek obsessive-compulsiveness with paper as well. I had personalized index cards made by Crane's from their 100% cotton rag bristol stock. The tactile experience of using premium rag paper in a laid finish is a genuine pleasure, and quite inexpensive too. You probably have one of their products already - they make the paper for US dollars.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 20
i'd recommend a PDA which has a full-size keyboard.

i just bought my first ever PDA, the hp ipaq 214. before that my 'pda' was a heap of notes and pads/pens on the floor. i didn't know where anything was, unlike a computer which takes a few seconds to find a file/note.

my handwriting is slower and messier than a qwerty. plus i can carry music and pics now. i can write neatly, but its much slower to do. plus now i have all the other stuff like wifi, bluetooth.

if you're serious about carrying notes and a calendar around, has to be a pda. the downside is its about 30x more expensive than pen and paper.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 20
Well, admittedly, a pen and paper may be more satisfying to those looking for a more indulgent experience. I liken it to using a safety razor vs an electric shaver. The safety razor camp wouldn't be caught dead using an 'electric face beater', even though it is much quicker and provides a decent shave with practice. It is functional. The safety razor guys view their preferred method of shaving, at least in part, as an indulgence, an experience.

Having said that, I would be lost without my iPaq. I used a paper planner for many years and it was functional, but cumbersome. The iPaq serves all of the same needs in a much smaller package, and does much more with much less effort. It reminds me of critical appointments and dates, stores information in a variety of ways, and is very reliable. I have literally any information I may need at any time close at hand. And it's much more secure. I can carry sensitive information without the fear of losing it to the wrong person. Sure, it isn't as elegant as a fountain pen (which can easily cost more than an iPaq) on linen paper, but that is not my objective.

If paper and pen work for you, great. I need more, so I'll stick with my gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back