Need some powered speaker recommendations, $500 limit.
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing some Audioengine A5+ powered speakers for my following setup: Lenovo PC --> Audioquest Dragonfly DAC ---> A5+

I listen to mostly FLAC files. My favorite genres are rock n' roll, blues, soundtracks, some jazz and electronic, etc. I really like some music from most all genres. I'm looking for some speakers to hook directly into the Dragonfly that will sound good. My budget is $500 for the pair of speakers.

Can anyone recommend some speakers better than the A5+ for something like this?

Thanks and good day!

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 8
Dec 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone ever compare the A5+ vs Airmotiv powered speakers or the Vanatoo Transparent One Powered Speakers?

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 8
FWIW I'm very very happy with my Airmotiv 4s hooked up to my dragonfly.  I used to have the Audioengine A5's which I didn't like at all.  I'm also using a NHT sub which is desirable for soundtracks and electronic music...

Drew

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Drew, can you please tell me the differences you noticed between the two?

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 8
If you have 500, I would certainly look into the offerings of pro-audio companies, like Behringer or Art audio. They are doing tons of powered speakers for professionals, so you could be sure that they are doing well engineered products at correct price. Although they are weak in designing fashionable boxes. Some of them coming with inbuilt soundcard, which could be as good as the dragonfly, without the audiophine badge on it. This would allow you to add a subwoofer to be able to cover all the sound.spectrum.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 8
  I'm thinking about purchasing some Audioengine A5+ powered speakers for my following setup: Lenovo PC --> Audioquest Dragonfly DAC ---> A5+
I listen to mostly FLAC files. My favorite genres are rock n' roll, blues, soundtracks, some jazz and electronic, etc. I really like some music from most all genres. I'm looking for some speakers to hook directly into the Dragonfly that will sound good. My budget is $500 for the pair of speakers.
Can anyone recommend some speakers better than the A5+ for something like this?

You could save a few dollars and get the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, on sale for $125.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

They seem to be rebranded M-Audio BX5s or at least they come from the same factory that makes the BX5 and share a lot of the parts.
I've been using the Monoprice 5" for about 20 days, they sound good to me.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Drew, can you please tell me the differences you noticed between the two?

The Emotivas have great clarity - strings and vocals are superb.  Bass is tight and impactfull (at least for speakers of this size)..  For me, the lack of sub-bass was more obvious on the A5s. The A5s sounded somewhat dry and dull to me (the A5+ are an improvement I assume but I haven't personally heard them).  Basically listening to the A5s made me want to put my headphones back on where the Airmotivs do not...

Drew   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back