Need some portables for around $150
May 23, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
Simple order. Just something to wear around town. ety/shures may be too isolated for this (I walk alot for pleasure).
So, what will fit the bill? I have never tried isolation earbuds, so they may be perfect.
Actually, around $70 would be even better. These are just for portable use, and I will pick up some sennie 600s or something pretty soon for home use.

edit: on a side note, are the Beyerdynamic Premium DT 990s any good? They're $150 on amazon

May 23, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 8
That's where I got my DT990s (full compass systems), best price I could find for a somewhat rare phone here in the states.

I've recently been looking around for portable headphones in this pricerange and it seems that most people recommend Shure E3C or the Ety ER6/ER6i. You could also step up to the E4C which was just recently released and can be had for ~$180 if you look around.

May 23, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
That's where I got my DT990s (full compass systems), best price I could find for a somewhat rare phone here in the states.

I've recently been looking around for portable headphones in this pricerange and it seems that most people recommend Shure E3C or the Ety ER6/ER6i. You could also step up to the E4C which was just recently released and can be had for ~$180 if you look around.

Ohhh. How do they compare to the 880s and 770s? (the 990s?)

May 23, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 8
For $150 you can get a GREAT vaule portable setup.

earclip:
KSC75 + electric avenue PA2 = $85

if you need isolation:
e2c + electric avenue PA2 = $130

If you dont mind a mid sized can:
SR60 + electric avenue PA2 = $150

Semi-portable, closed can:
MDRV6 + electric avenue PA2 = $130

IMHO a small amp is needed for any of the above cans to reach their full potential, but not really needed for good sounds. Depends on how critical of a listener you really are. If you were to do without an amp, go with the SR60. Its much tighter and more refined than either the KSC75 or e2c unamped and lacks the upper midrange exageration of the V6.

Amped the MDRV6 bass seems to tighten up a bit and extend deeper.

One thing thats kind of annoying with my e2c (and other canal phones) is that I can hear my footsteps when I walk.... thump....thump...thump. That may / may not bother you though.

I'll reserve the anti V600 comments for someone else
biggrin.gif
... or leave you to do a search.

Good Luck!
Garrett

May 23, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 8
DT990's are almost as far as you can get from portable. The leakage from my DT770's is bad enough for closed cans, 990's must be like a pair of speakers.

May 23, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 8
fappar, Garrett just gave you some EXCELLENT choices for a couple of nice portable setups. If I had to choose one though I'd have to go for the SR60's though (or SR80's for the right price). I really like the Grado's detailed sound and impact. One of my favorite things to do is to go on a walk around campus with my Grado's, I get all kinds of wierd looks but for me it's really a fun thing to do while listening to some smashing tunes. Also, what kind of music do you listen to? This could help poeple make better suggestions.

May 23, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Right, the DT990s aren't quite portable material for a few reasons:
1. 10 foot cord
2. Require very good amplification
3. Open
4. Full sized
..but they are excellent home phones, they are similar sounding to the DT770s but with a little more info up top and more balanced sounding (all the bass isn't overpowering the recessed mids). They are my most used of the trio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back