Need some 'phones!
Jul 19, 2004 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gamefreak

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I just ordered an iRiver IHP-120 off of Amazon and being the nice people they are they're giving me $50 to spend on "Electronics" there. I figured I might as well pick up some headphones or a game.

I have some HD202s now which I like fairly well. I'm no audiophile or anything and they sound pretty good in my opinion. I'd like something similar to them (no weird metal bands, sturdy, closed) but I'd also like something that can fold up nicely (or is otherwise portable) and (obviously) sounds good.

As far as price range I'd spend up to $30 (with the $50 at Amazon) but nothing more than that. Oh and Amazon has to have them
wink.gif

Any recomendations?

Thanks alot!

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 18
PX200s are well within your budget, closed, and fold up (and have a nifty case). Are you considering canalphones? The shure e2c is in your budget.

Jul 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 18
Those 280 Pros are good for $80 - don't let the low price fool you, they're pretty damn good. Remember though they sound a bit crap when they first turn up, it takes up to 500 hours for them to sound their best (seriously), and a couple of months of casual use. Read the burn in faq in the headphones forum for more information.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 18
commando, how's the soundstage/imaging of the 280. im interested in them as a cheap pair of closed gaming cans. how do they compare to the v6, a500, and any other open or closed headphone <100 mark for imaging and positioning.

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 18
Soundstage - I don't believe in it.
Positioning - all headphones have two speakers in the same place, imaging should be the same.

They're more than just gaming cans - they're at the low end of the audiophone range. I can't compare to any other sub $100 cans, I only have higher end ones than that. Put it this way, I happily use them at home for music and games - but i'm not a big gamer.

Just beware of the long burn-in time.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Heh, I just want something that's comfy like my 202's are now. Took a bit to loosen them up but now I'm happy!
600smile.gif

Anyways, other recommendations are cool too.

Thanks again guys!

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The 280s aren’t bad for a budget headphone, but I probably wouldn’t recommend them unless you need an analytical can or maximum isolation. Their bass is quite low but also weak in a lot of cases. You have to be very careful to make a good seal with your head otherwise they have no bass at all. They have a very harsh treble which makes extended listening difficult. Comfort isn’t great either, as they clamp very tightly and could use some more padding.

Didja change your mind?
wink.gif

Oh and I think I would perfer circumaural phones to non.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back