Need some noobhelp on upgrading the Ipod 6G listening experience.
Dec 3, 2008 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Serafim

New Head-Fier
I have decided to step up a bit. My mission is to upgrade my Ipod Classic 160gb listening experience without digging to deep into my pockets.
I think i might be ordering the UE Triple.fi set, seems balanced.
But my worry is not the IEM`s. But the Ipod Classics Cirrus chip.
I did enjoy the warmth of the 5g better.

So shoot me if im wrong, can i circumvent that somehow? Being a noobie one has to ask, will or can i enjoy the benefits of an external amp? Does this improve the quality and provide some warmth to my listening experience?
After what I understand, can I get a LOD cable to circumvent the 6g`s otherwise dry sound through an amp? Feel free to shoot my ideas down if they are wrong.

Any other advice as to increase my listening experience with the 6G is greatly appreciated. Anything goes.

Audiogeenies, have at it and thanks for the help!

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Don't assume the sound is only a product of the DAC chip. The headphones and amp play a huge part.

Would you consider full-sized headphones? I get a lot of warmth from Grados plugged right into an iPod. If you're looking for a cheap upgrade, try your iPod with a Grado SR-60. You'll find a lot of what you're looking for.

You might also like the Sennheiser house sound, but you'd need a desktop amp to get the most out of them. A friend dropped some demos on my iPod, so I connected it to the Si2A3 and gave it a listen through the HD-600. The iPod isn't the best source, but it was good enough. I'd recommend something similar if you're open to a home-based setup.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 11
The discrete plugs of IEM`s suit my situation better. And I like to be portable with them. (feel free to delete my doublepost btw)

So a portable setup it is. But I dont want to buy something thay maybe doesnt suit my needs and or doesnt harmonize as well with a 6G. So I all in all wonder what I can do with it, being somewhat of a noob too.

Triple.fi it is. Checked them out versus shures 530 etc.
But what do I need and what can I expect with a 6G Ipod?
And I feel i dont know too much about amps, LOD cables and the such to see how it benefits me or how to actually put together a decent setup.

Any advice on something between 0-300 bucks?

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 11
My current portable rig is shown in my sig. I'm enjoying the synergy among the iPod 6th gen, my RSA SR-71A and my TF 10 Pros. The RSA amp is kinda "colored" and a little warmer than my 2Move, and I like how they all sound togheter. Actually, my 2Move is being used only as a DAC/AMP with my laptop and my HD650, since it's very neutral and transparent, and it matches nicely with my Sennheiser.

Getting a LOD is highly recommended if you want to truly enjoy your TF 10 Pros and your amp with music out from you iPod. If you use your headphone jack, the signal would have already gone through the crap iPod's amplification, and there's no sense on amplifying that again. Using a LOD you get an almost clear signal from the Cirrus DAC( Vinnie from RWA has checked that out, the 6th gen has a cleaner line-out than the older versions ).

Hope I have helped a bit.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 11
IMHO different 'phones will have a MUCH greater effect on the SQ than the difference between adding an amp with the 5g vs 6g ipod and the same 'phones. Please make sure you have an excellent seal with your IEMs - it is not uncommon for the lack of bass due to a poor ear seal to be the real cause for poor IEM SQ. If you push-in slightly on the IEMs in your ears (not so much that it hurts!) and the sound gets much better, then you might want to try different tips before spending money on more electronics.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Ya - bypassing the headphone out and using the LOD out with say an iMod Super Dock Interconnect hooked up to a good portable amp - I like the sound and design of the Total Bithead as you can use velcros and attatch it directly to your iPod and it fits nicely. Check out redwineaudio at Red Wine Audio iMod

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 11
I would be wary of the TF10s, though. I haven't tried them, but many of my friends have, and they say that they are almost unportable.

They have such large apertures that it causes them discomfort and breaks the seal everytime them move.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Many people here seem to think that the newly released Westone 3 is above and beyond both the SE530 and the TF10. I'd try that.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the help guys, I got some insight into what I want to do, and what is possible.

And another thanks for providing good quality info and a great forum. Cheers!
Im going to stick around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Actually, those models suit my needs. I will go for one of those and some decent cables. Im not quite the audiohead to recognize what is perfect amplification, so I think one of those will do. Thanks for the advice. My player is shaping up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back