Need some new trance albums.
Nov 10, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
This is one of the ones I'm waiting for.
icon10.gif

I picked it up today, spinning it right now. Track 1 is excellent, this appears to be a combo artist/dj album for him. It's got a few older tracks on it like "Cruise Control" and "Shredder."

Nov 10, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Alright I just pulled the trigger on my Psyshop order, I've got the following on there way to me:

Shpongle, "Tales of the Inexpressible"
Shpongle, "The Remixes"
Shpongle, "Are you shpongled?"
Infected Mushroom, "IM The Supervisor"
Infected Mushroom, "Classical Mushroom"
Infected Mushroom, "B.P.Empire"
Infected Mushroom, "The Gathering"
Infected Mushroom, "Converting Vegetarians"

Once they arrive I'll post some impressions.

By the way check out this eBay auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

600smile.gif

Alright! More Shpongle = More good.

Some more recommendations:

Juno Reactor: Beyond the Infinite, Bible of Dreams, Shango. Juno really have their own style that's hard to describe - a mix between old school Goa, industrial, psy-trance, with lots and lots of tribal percussion thrown in for good measure.

Doof: It's About Time. Think of this as a minimalist Shpongle. Really, Doof and Shpongle are basically in the same vein, but take different approaches to their music. This disk is about 1/2 psytrance 1/2 chill, and is really out there.

Hallucinogen: Twisted, Lone Deranger. Um... you should have this. I really hope
lambda.gif
If, by any change you don't, then for the love of everything holy, get out there and get this NOW, since when it comes to psytrance, Simon Posford is KING.

P.S. Saw Simon live in NYC not too long ago. Damn, psytrance really deserves better recognition than it gets in the USA. Not only do artists have to go through horrible distributors (Tsunami), they've got to play in lame clubs on abysmal sound systems for a bunch of idiot teens with no apprecition of quality music (OK, trying not to curse here. Really, really trying
plainface.gif
). I felt so sorry for Simon, playing on that garbage system for those idiot stiffs... and what a set he played, too. Utterly amazing DJ'ing and tracks. I guess if you want psy/Goa, then get off the couch and actually go to Goa.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #49 of 56
Lone Deranger marked a bit of a change in Simon's sound - he became a bit more dance-oriented and less experimental, but turned psychedelia up several notches. LD is really out there, I disconnect completely when listening to it. This is actually one trance disk where electrostats do better than dynamics IMO, since you're busier getting lost in the layers upon layers of samples then moving to the beat. The added detail and transparency of electrostats really brings all those layers out.

Anyway, back to LD and Twisted - Twisted is markedly more melodic than LD, has more of an old-shool-Goa-ish sound, is more full-on, the tracks have a more concrete musical idea and better direction, and have some interesting experimental passages. Unfortunately, the production isn't quite as good - not bad by any means, but if you're spoiled by Simon's astounding later efforts, you'll be dissappointed production-wise.

Personally, I think Twisted > Lone Deranger, although it's close. Twisted is THE classic in psytrance, much like Astral Projection's Trust in Trance series are THE classics in Goa.

P.S. The "In Dub" album is fantastic too (listening to it now on my SR-001's
etysmile.gif
). Basically, Simon took his eternal partner in crime other than Raja Ram - dub genius OTT - and gave him Twisted and LD to turn into dub remixes. OTT was no stranger to Simon's sound, having edited and co-produced both of the Shpongle albums, and he did a really nice job with these. In Dub is a spacey, utterly psychedelic album somewhat reminiscent to LD in the sheer trip-out effect it has. It's not as melodic or experimental as the Shpongle disks, but has it's own merits. Production wise... well this is OTT. Production rules. Highly recommended if you like Shpongle/Hallucinogen, as is OTT's solo disk, Blumenkraft - which is on par with Shpongle 2. The last track on Blumenkraft - "Smoked Glass and Chrome" - will leave you absolutely floored (It's similar to, but better than, "Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness"). Lastly, Blumenkraft features most of the same studio musicians as Shpongle, so if you liked the vocals in Shpongle 2 - well guess what, they're back, and are every bit as good.

[Edit: Bah, I'm ranting. So hard to focus with music playing]

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #50 of 56
If you're not against a little vocals with your trance, Assemblage 23's albums and Parallel Project's Fusion might be worth checking out. Depending on how far you're willing to stretch from the "normal" trance, the whole Futurepop genre has some real pearls by groups such as VNV Nation and Informatik... not as clearly trancey as A23 and PP, though
smily_headphones1.gif

/JF

(SNICKER, holy very old thread, batman!)

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #51 of 56
The term "trance" seems to cover fairly different things. For most people, it means big super-star DJs spinning records with a certain general mood (slighly less inane that "house"). But there have been lots of groups since the early 90s devoted to making trance as a style of music. A few posts here mention some of them. Probably the best known, at least since the Matrix movies, is Juno Reactor, although arguably their best was earlier than that:

Juno Reactor: Shango
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YLJB

This is close to style of trance that has been differentiated from the mainstream club music with the term "psytrance," or sometimes "goa." This is the good stuff that actually sounds like something you'd want to call "trance." There are all sorts of somewhat established styles now, such as the ridiculously named European "full on" trance and the informative appelation "progressive trance." If you happen to be looking for the searing, heart-pumping, mind-melting kind of trance, the startup label Suntrip Records has put out of few great CDs in the past year that focus on the general style of "melodic psytrance" that was bigger in the 1990s with groups such as Hallucinogen and the all-time greats Astral Projection.

Suntrip Records
http://www.suntriprecords.com/pages/releases.php
(long sample clips)

Places to order and hear short samples of this and other things include http://www.psyshop.com and http://www.beatspace.com.

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #52 of 56
I've been sold on Andy Hunter lately. Only two albums so far, but they have some quality beats.

dang, this thread is old.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
The term "trance" seems to cover fairly different things. For most people, it means big super-star DJs spinning records with a certain general mood (slighly less inane that "house"). But there have been lots of groups since the early 90s devoted to making trance as a style of music. A few posts here mention some of them. Probably the best known, at least since the Matrix movies, is Juno Reactor, although arguably their best was earlier than that:

Juno Reactor: Shango
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YLJB

While I agree with you in that Juno Reactor's best days are behind them (Saw 'em live a few months back, though!
wink.gif
), I'm not that crazy about Shango. While Masters of the Universe is a nice way of testing the the lower reaches of your gear, I feel that both Bible of Dreams and Beyond the Infinite are superior to Shango.

/JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back