Need some new headphones
Dec 28, 2007 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Speedemonv12

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I have been reading around the forums for the past couple of days, and looking at some other site in search of some new headphones. I currently have a pair of Solitude noise canceling headphones, but they are getting old, and I have gotten into music as of late and would love to get a pair of good headphones. I listen moslty to Trance, Rock, and Hip Hop/R&B. I will be doing some traveling over the next semester of school, but that is not really a concern because I will have space to carry around a large set of headphones, and don't mind doing it. Anyways, I want to make sure that I will be able to hear by headphones on the road, or in an airplane. I don't mind spending a little on an amp if need be to get the quality sound out of the headphones if need be, but I don't know much about amp's. I stumbled opon the Sennheiser HD 555's and found them to be quite nice and reasonably price. What do you guys think for my situation and the type of music that I like to listen to? I also would like to keep the price of the headphone under 150, and if I need to get an amp, under 50 would be great

Edit: Forgot to add that I will be using these headphones mostly with a MacBook Pro, and iPod Classic 160gb.

Any suggestions are greatly apreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 21
hmm.. Those look pretty nice. They look a little old though, how long have they been out? I was hoping to get a pair of open air headphones though. Something like the Sennheiser or Akg or Audio Technica. They all look very good. Plus I heard that the open air produces better sound. Would the open air headphones work for my situation? Or do they allow for too much outside noise?

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedemonv12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, I want to make sure that I will be able to hear by headphones on the road, or in an airplane.

Based on that statement, I assumed that open headphones would not be considered.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 21
Open Air cans would be bad for traveling, you will hear too much noise to enjoy the music and annoy your neighbor. A tightly closed can is best in this situation and there are many.

However, many cans get rolled off at low end from impedence mismatch on laptops and iPods. Restoring it w/ good portable amp is best but nothing under $200 is really worth it. The TTVJ Millet is great but pricey. Furthermore, not too many hdphs under $200 have great bass response that your lookin for to match your musical taste.

You're gonna have to compromise to meet your budget. Better to have really good cans and save later for an amp.

BTW, hope your rippn trks at a good pb rate, WAV is best, you can definitely hear the difference. Otherwise, you're defeating the purpose of having good cans. Good luck.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 21
Dec 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 21
I don't mean to be pushy by bumping up this thread, but I would really like to order these this weekend so that I can get them before I leave.

I have narrowed it down to three Headphones (Sub $150, Closed Back):

Amazon.com: AKG Closed-Back Design Studio Monitoring Headphones - K271STUDIO: Electronics

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATHA700 Audiophile Headphones ( Metallic finish ): Electronics

Amazon.com: Full-size Closed-back Dynamic Headphones: Electronics

Of the three above, what do you think would be best for me? I listen to a lot of Trance, Alt. Rock, Rock, Rap, and I also like to listen to some Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, and Jack Johnson. As you can tell, I like to mix it up. I would also like to not have to buy an amp, but if I need to, I will probably get the Boostaroo Headphone amp from Boostaroo.com. What do you think ?

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 21
The AKG K271 will need an amp to have enough volume, and they lack bass. If you like bass, skip these. I have them, they're great, comfortable, I love them, but only when EQed and have some sort of bass boost.

I just got the Audio Technica ATH-Pro700 closed, and love them, although they have a lot of clamping force, but good for blocking out noise... I think the ATHA700 are probably similar to the ATH-Pro700 but in a more comfortable setting... I picked the DJ style because I wanted portability and bass! You can check out my review.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aud...th-sj5-280077/

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 21
I'll stick with the Audio-Technica theme and recommend the A900. I think it will be just about ideal for your uses - it's very good with all sorts of electronic music, is clear sounding with a good bass, is very easily driven by all sorts of sources without needing an amp, and is closed and isolating. I like it more than the HD595 personally.

It clocks in at just under $200, but I think it's worth the extra stretch. There are very few good-sounding closed headphones around regardless of price, and this is one of them, though it's nowhere near the best.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

You could also go with the A500 which has similar virtues, but the A900 is better.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 21
I just picked up the Sony MDR7506 and it falls within your price range. Sure it's not one of these big name brand ones that are loved around here as much but read the reviews on Amazon of happy customers. They are closed headphones too and have a foldable feature that makes it easy to take with you out of the house if required. It sounds pretty good amped or no amp. Be aware you will hear artifacts in low quality mp3 files. Comes with a bag and coiled cable and the 1/4" adapter.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 21
k271 if you get an amp too, a700 if you don't. For your music people tend to prefer the closed Beyers to these, though, particularly the old DT770-80.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 21
hmm... i looked at them, and they were a bit too much $$.. but then i saw this deal

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | SALE Now On!

It look legit, but the one on sale is the 250ohm, i heard that the 80 ohm is much better. Should i look for the 80 ohm ones?

and btw, the amp that I would get with the k271 would be the boostaroo portable amp, would that work? or should i just get the A700's? I dont have enough money to buy a higher quality amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back