Need some in ears for $100 - $150 CAN
May 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Galvatron

New Head-Fier
A little back-story never hurt anyone

Due to a recent promotion I am now recquired to travel all around. Now I have a proper set-up at home which includes an old MacBook, an HD 650 and a Nice schitt amp a friend bought me for my birthday. Money really isn't an issue I just wanna see what I can get for the budget given. I'd also like to make a little budget buyers guide one day and I'm kind of putting pieces together for it.

Why not buy some Kaiser IEM or something if money isn't an issue?
Now I'm not the kind of guy to shell out a weeks wages on a pair of cans just yet, as I don't think I can bring myself to do that. And since I can't really take my HD 650's with me on planes and subway stations I need something a bit more portable.

Now I know know next to nothing about IEMs , CIEMs or UIEMs so I figured I'd go to the friendly experts here on head fi.

Needs / Wants

Just a pair of in-ears that I can take with me on the go that sound nice.

Prefered sound signature
I love jazz and instrumentals, vocal-heavy indie music, new wave, anything by daft punk, some electronic, movies, games, some light rap listening, anything from the hotline Miami soundtracks etc.

I guess I want something similar to the V-moda sound signature (or at least as its presented), crisp and clear highs, forward Mids and more of an emphasis on bass and lower mids.

I also heard the Sennheiser ie-80s are really good but it's well above $150 CAN. Unless you guys say I should just shell out the extra $100 and buy a used pair off of amazon, I'll just wait.

- thanks forum
GALVA

May 3, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Do you need isolation? For $150 the DUNU Titan 1 at $130 is extremely tough to beat currently. I haven't heard anything better than that for the price. However they don't really isolate as well as other IEMs.

If you do need isolation, the MEElectronics A151p Generation 2 has a sound signature pretty similar to the HD600, so since you do own an HD650, you might like that type of sound.

May 3, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the link to the list of reviews, I looked at most of the monitors there and started with about 10-15 different pairs. After about an hour of reading reviews I narrowed it down to the JVC HA-FXT90 and the Vsonic GR07/ GR07 Bass edition.

Lemme know what you guys think which one is better.

Thanks again
-GALVA :)

May 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Do you need isolation? For $150 the DUNU Titan 1 at $130 is extremely tough to beat currently. I haven't heard anything better than that for the price. However they don't really isolate as well as other IEMs.

If you do need isolation, the MEElectronics A151p Generation 2 has a sound signature pretty similar to the HD600, so since you do own an HD650, you might like that type of sound.

The dunu looks promising enough Im deffinately gonna look at that one again. The MEE electronics a151P generation 2 i also like, except the bass seems a bit lacking, I am not a bass head but I do like a responsive punch in the bass, but not to the point where I'm sacrificing the lower mids.

Originally I wanted to pick up the hi-fi man re 400s, but I heard the bas isn't very impactful, Or at least not as much as I wanted it to be. So kind of as a closing statement I might just get what you suggested or one of the other two I suggested on an earlier post, or if I'm not happy with any of them; I might just hold out for the IE 80s.

Thanks
– Galva

May 12, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 10
I liked the a151p but you are right about the bass not being very powerful. They are more of a balanced earphone and I liked the clarity. I think mine are the 1st generation but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back