Need some Help with First IEM's
May 31, 2007 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Stabilo7

New Head-Fier
So i'm not much of an audiophile.... not enough money...
tongue.gif

anyways
i'm going to get a pair of IEM's... but i dont want to spend loads of money or anything
I've narrowed it down to the JVC Marshmallows that i can get for 20$ CDN... or the Panasonic RP-HNJ50W... the neckstrap version of the RP-HEJ50...for 30$ CDN
I've heard good things about both earbuds... which do you recommend?

May 31, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stabilo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i'm not much of an audiophile.... not enough money...
tongue.gif

anyways
i'm going to get a pair of IEM's... but i dont want to spend loads of money or anything
I've narrowed it down to the JVC Marshmallows that i can get for 20$ CDN... or the Panasonic RP-HNJ50W... the neckstrap version of the RP-HEJ50...for 30$ CDN
I've heard good things about both earbuds... which do you recommend?

Marshmallows. I have the other ones. Good but not as good as the Marshmallows, which I've heard on several occasions.

May 31, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 17
I might suggest you try to find a second-hand set of CX300's, if you can. Tough to beat for a canal-style phone.

May 31, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 17
If you're okay with clip-ons, Koss KSC75's are pretty good.

For IEM's, the Fontopia's aren't all that bad.

- lk

May 31, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 17
Can not, IIRC.

I owned the Panasonic one. SQ wise it isn't as good as Marshmallows.

May 31, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 17
the ep-630 is also within your price range! you can try it too!

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 17
I bought a pair of JVC Marshmallows earlier tonight. My first initial impression is having to shove them pretty deep to get a bit better midrange. If not, then they have that "smiling EQ" sound to them (boosted bass and treble, cut midrange).

A little too much on the treble (and tons of bass
blink.gif
), but for $20 what can you expect. They sound good enough for me until I upgrade to a better quality earphone.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of JVC Marshmallows earlier tonight. My first initial impression is having to shove them pretty deep to get a bit better midrange. If not, then they have that "smiling EQ" sound to them (boosted bass and treble, cut midrange).

A little too much on the treble (and tons of bass
blink.gif
), but for $20 what can you expect. They sound good enough for me until I upgrade to a better quality earphone.

I felt like I had my arm in up to the elbow to insert these things when I first got them. Consider picking up some Shure E2C foamie tips and performing the Kramer mod on these things. I think you might find a huge improvement.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 17
I had a pair of Panasonics and didn't like them nearly as much as the Sony's I was using. I no longer use the Sony's, and don't even know where the Panasonics are. That may sound wasteful, but the Creative EP630's are far more pleasing (for me) than the Panasonics were (and more durable than the Sony's). The Marshmallows get good reports, too, for the money.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 17
From what I've been reading the Mylar X3's are going to be a whole lot better than what you are looking at, but also not much more money. I think they may be worth looking into. -CK

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 17
I just got the marshmallows on an impulse buy. With the Kramer mods, it definitely sounds much better than stock. I didn't get a chance to get some shure e2c foamies but the stock ones isolate soso, not that great, but the SQ definitely increased dramatically with the kramer mod, so the foamies would definitely make it better. One thing I did with the stock foamies was I cut the end on it a little to make it smaller, so it made it easier to put on, and sound is good still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back