Need some help with a non working alien dac
Feb 3, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

strangedaze39

Member of the Trade: HeadCoverage
Does anyone know if IC2 or C22 are required or if their is a way around them ? I have no idea what the issue is but if anyone has some basic reasons why this might not be working I would greatly appreciate it.

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 9
I do have the IC2 in place. What would happen if the C22 is shorting on the IC2. The PCB coat was very thin there and rubbed off between the C22 and IC2. So I'm not sure what to do. Are their any other places I should look that are commonly the culprit ?

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 9
the 5v and 3.3 are showing nothing. but when i plug a speaker in a i get a small feedback when i plug it in.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 9
if you're actually plugging a SPEAKER (rather than headphones) directly into the output of the Alien, that's bad news in the first place. the Alien is definitely not designed to see an input impedance of <1000 ohms at the least. even most headphones are pushing the current output capabilities of the Alien - no way it can drive speakers. unfortunately, i can't be much help with your problem of 0V in the 5V and 3.3V areas of the circuit. however, you'll find lots of knowledgeable people in the dedicated Alien DAC thread.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Sorry I didn't clarify that. I tried it like this. Computer>Alien Dac>Little Dot II+>headphones.

Do you think I could pay someone to put it together if I gave them all the parts with a new PCB board ?

I'm not to great at soldering and it could be a poor solder or god only knows.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're getting 0V from 5V and 3.3V to ground? How are you powering this thing? Take a photo of the board and post it, it'll help determine if something is obviously wrong.

+1 - this is definitely the best way for us to tell if it's a cold joint, bridge, or something else obvious. hope you have a nice macro lens or filter set :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back