Need some help please with buds vs IEMs vs Balanced vs Over ear phones
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FenceFurniture

100+ Head-Fier
G'day

Probably best to start by describing what I have, and what I'd like to achieve. First thing to note is that I am not an audiophile really (in terms of knowing tech stuff), but I have good ears (although slightly age declined at 62) and certainly very much appreciate great sound.

So apart from my home system, which I'm quite pleased with, my portable sound is:
Shanling M3s DAP with FLAC files
Koss BT540i over ear phones which are usually used with the M3s DAP
Xiaomi Mi 8 Smartphone with MP3 files (which are bottom end gutless, but only 25% of the size)
Xiaomi BT Earbuds which are reasonably good but only if I keep holding them pushed into my head.....

On my PC I run JRiver MC23 with the same FLAC files ripped with dbPowerAmp. For that I use either the Koss BT5401 phones or a Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 2 BT speaker (which is also used in the woodworking shed with the M3s). JRiver have just announced that they will have an Android version out pretty soon, so I'll jump on that (the app that comes with the phone is rubbish and full of adverts)

For shed use I do have a pair of 3M Worktunes ear muffs (corded) but it has to be said that they are pretty gutless, esp compared to the Koss phones. I will look into getting the drivers replaced.

So, it seems to me that ear buds don't suit my ear canals. I can't get the damn things to stay in! I have noticed this before when I used some Apple buds, and the Xiaomi buds keep falling out, particularly in my right ear. Even fitting sound-blocking ear plugs is not so easy, so I'm figuring that my ear canals must be smaller than usual. As noted above, if I keep the Xiaomi buds pressed in then I get what you'd have to call pretty good bass response, albeit from MP3 files in that case. But as soon as I let go the pressure (i.e. behave relatively normally as I'm walking down to the shops) the bass response falls away dramatically.

This will not do! Are there perhaps smaller profile soft rubber "bits" for ear buds available?

I have been considering getting some balanced IEMs, but the ear bud experience has dissuaded me somewhat. Furthermore, I have read that balanced output has less bass response, even though separation and clarity of instruments is improved. I definitely don't want to lose bass.

On the other hand, as the weather warms up here in Australia, I'm finding that the Koss phones are causing a sweat problem, even though I live in a higher altitude (1017 metres, which is around 3300 feet, and 34° latitude, so about the same latitude as Atlanta GA, or Buenos Aires). Another factor in favour of buds/IEMs is that they are much more brimmed hat friendly, and that is an absolute must here when outdoors (my hairline ain't what it used to be either....).

So, any thoughts from the Brains Trust on this dilemma?

Another question that I have is whether or not a separate amp will be of any use with the M3s/Koss combination. It's plenty loud enough, but when I hook up the M3s to the main sound system in the lounge the volume is significantly below that of playing a CD.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 5
So, it seems to me that ear buds don't suit my ear canals. I can't get the damn things to stay in! I have noticed this before when I used some Apple buds, and the Xiaomi buds keep falling out, particularly in my right ear. Even fitting sound-blocking ear plugs is not so easy, so I'm figuring that my ear canals must be smaller than usual. As noted above, if I keep the Xiaomi buds pressed in then I get what you'd have to call pretty good bass response, albeit from MP3 files in that case. But as soon as I let go the pressure (i.e. behave relatively normally as I'm walking down to the shops) the bass response falls away dramatically.

This will not do! Are there perhaps smaller profile soft rubber "bits" for ear buds available?

I have been considering getting some balanced IEMs, but the ear bud experience has dissuaded me somewhat. Furthermore, I have read that balanced output has less bass response, even though separation and clarity of instruments is improved. I definitely don't want to lose bass.

Sounds like your issue is with getting the right tips for your earphones. You might want to try something like Comply foam tips. You compress them down, then insert them and let the foam spring back to fill your ear.

You can also experiment with different sizes and shapes of silicone eartips. With some earphones (and some ears), a shorter tip will fit better, with others a longer tip will fit better. Spiral Dots are good if you need a shorter tip, Spinfits are good if you need something more substantial. Or you might want to try triple-flange eartips which insert deeper.

Unfortunately, there's really no way to tell what will work best for your ears without experimenting.

Oh, and also try using a different size in your right ear if you're having particular problems with that one. Maybe you need a larger or smaller or tip in that ear.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Another question that I have is whether or not a separate amp will be of any use with the M3s/Koss combination. It's plenty loud enough, but when I hook up the M3s to the main sound system in the lounge the volume is significantly below that of playing a CD.

You probably don't need a separate amp for the Koss. The M3s probably isn't putting out as much signal at max as your CD player's line out, but that shouldn't be a concern with your headphones, assuming the combination sounds good to you as it is.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Is there a way of determining what size the SpinFits are? Perhaps measuring the diameter? There is nothing marked on them.

(suddenly remembers packet of spare tips that came with the earbuds a few weeks ago)

NO! WAIT! The three spare pairs are all different sizes! The second largest were pre-fitted, so I fitted the smallest size (after trying 2nd smallest). They are certainly a better fit, but there is very little isolation, and I suspect that I will still lose bass if I don't keep them pressed into my head. Typical Chinese instructions - or lack of - in this case. Even if they had printed "S, M-S, L" on the bag I would twigged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back