Need some Help choosing!
Jul 18, 2006 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
Well my Birthday is coming up and I would like some new headphones for Home use. I would like something with comfort, some decent bass, and can do ok with gaming(aka counterstrike). I would be pluging it in my computer with no amp atm....I would eventually upgrade the soundcard, but not yet. oh and if they can look sweet even better!

My price range is 20-80 Bucks, i would push it to 100 but I dont know.

umm I am considering px100, k8 dj, grado 60's, and some audio tech's.

but if you recommend something better then all for it! post it
biggrin.gif

:edit!: Forgot to say I listen to Techno/Rock alot! Not really into anything else

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 6
From personal experience, I would recommend the SR60. Good price, great sound. Other people say it's got horrible soundstage but, once again from experience, I find them perfectly suitable for CS - I can figure out where people are from their footsteps, usually. SR60s are also great for rock, and pretty good for techno. YMMV on the comfort part, though - I can wear them for a few hours fine, but I have to take some breaks occasionally.

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for replying, tho what does YMMV stand for?? And even I take breaks everycouple of hours! The SR60 are def looking good...

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
Thanks for replying, tho what does YMMV stand for?? And even I take breaks everycouple of hours! The SR60 are def looking good...

it means your mileage may vary. SR60 is a great headphone in its price range, but might have a few serious drawbacks for your needs: they're widely considered to be uncomfortable for wearing more than an hour or two, both in terms of fit and because of their strident highs; and they really do have a very limited soundstage, something I bet you'd hear very clearly up against those K81dj's, for instance. They aren't extremely strong for bass either.

What they are good at are things you didn't mention but would probably really notice in the hearing: clarity of presentation, strong upper mids, and a kind of punch or immediacy in the sound, all of which make them very well suited to rock music or anything remotely like it. For techno, I daresay the K81dj would be a little better. The comfort might be better as well. I recommend going with your gut instinct, and buying from someone like headroom, where you can switch to the other option after a week or two if you really need to.

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 6
you mentioned AT. Grabbing an A500 might be the way to go, because you want a home can that has comfort, ok bass, can do imaging/soundstage for gaming, which means you're probably plugging into your computer. The other cans you mentioned are either really better suited for short term portable use, or don't have that great of a soundstage, etc etc.

Edit - since you boldfaced "comfort" this can will probably make you the most happy, but keep in mind this is a Home can. it's too big and ridiculous-looking to wear out in public!

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you mentioned AT. Grabbing an A500 might be the way to go, because you want a home can that has comfort, ok bass, can do imaging/soundstage for gaming, which means you're probably plugging into your computer. The other cans you mentioned are either really better suited for short term portable use, or don't have that great of a soundstage, etc etc.

Edit - since you boldfaced "comfort" this can will probably make you the most happy, but keep in mind this is a Home can. it's too big and ridiculous-looking to wear out in public!

Ah, that's the one I was thinking of - the A500. I was gonna recommend it but then I realized I wasn't sure on the model number. Anyway, I've demoed these cans before, and I enjoyed them. Not as punchy as the SR60, more airy, and MUCH more comfortable (big velour pads). They sit lightly on top of the head and don't annoy you at all. Keep in mind, though, the part that goes on your ear is about the same size as a standard CD - they're not very small. Bass and mids are fine, not as good as the SR60, but the highs are better.

Wait a minute... this is the closed version. Jahn, do you know of any difference between the open version and the closed version of the AudioTechnicas? I've only demo'ed the open, so my comments may be invalid.

BTW, I think it's just me, but I don't have a problem with the SR60's highs. They're very acceptable to me.

SR60 bass is very, very good. I'm a basshead and I love this bass. For what I have, the only way I can get better bass than SR60s unamped is to amp KSC75s with an OPA2227 and then press them to my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back