Need some help choosing headphones >$200
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Captain Derp

New Head-Fier
Not sure how to start this so I'll just keep it short and sweet, I'm looking for the best headphones I can get for my preferences under  200 usd. I'm a bit tied between the HD 598 (like new condition for about $180 on amazon) the ath-m50s, and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohm version. I like most genres of music, the main ones being eletronic, club/dance, pop, and a bit of acoustic/classical (not country). I've heard that the HD 598 lacks bass (was my primary choice), which I do quite like but I wouldn't consider myself a "basshead". in other words, I'm looking for a good bass response that doesn't drown out the mids and highs. I also like to game a lot so a decent soundstage would be nice! I have a titanium HD dedicated soundcard, so hopefully I don't have to worry about an amp. that's about all I can think of, let me know if there is any more information you would like to know to determine the best choice.

Thanks guys 
size]

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the M50's, they were my first good quality headphones. I say "good quality" meaning, in their price range. They are perfect for your techno, electronic, and clubby kinda music (again, "perfect" in respect to their price")..sound stage is a bit lacking...mid bass slightly bloated  for  a lot of peoples taste. But again, "bloated bass" may sound good for you and your genre of music. Mids and highs and there, nothing to brag about though. 

I would say the 770's are a small step up from the M50's...they are a bit better in most regards, especially the sound stage and detail. You're also going to pay somewhere around $50 more for those...worth it. 

Can't comment on the 598's. 

Final word: go for the 770's. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I have the M50's, they were my first good quality headphones. I say "good quality" meaning, in their price range. They are perfect for your techno, electronic, and clubby kinda music (again, "perfect" in respect to their price")..sound stage is a bit lacking...mid bass slightly bloated  for  a lot of peoples taste. But again, "bloated bass" may sound good for you and your genre of music. Mids and highs and there, nothing to brag about though. 

I would say the 770's are a small step up from the M50's...they are a bit better in most regards, especially the sound stage and detail. You're also going to pay somewhere around $50 more for those...worth it. 

Can't comment on the 598's. 

Final word: go for the 770's. 

DT770 make a very good gaming headset and over all sound quality vs the m50 is better.

Something to consider, the DT770 will require an amp the m50 will benefit from one but not require it. Another headphone I would recommend to you is the Beyer Custom One Pro, dynamic ( can be used as open back for gaming) and wont require an amp.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Well the M50's are a mid ranged headphone but it has a punchy bass. If you say that you don't consider yourself a "basshead" the M50's bass wont dissapoint.

I own a pair myself and i listen to a wide range of genres  on them. From dubstep to country. If you are just in it for the fun of music, and for that price range, then go for the M50's

But they lack soundstage, i tried playing skyrim with them and they were alright. Underline "alright."
In the end, it's a solid pair of cans for it's price range

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Hello!

For all of your needs, I will highly recommend you the HD598! It's a good pair of headphone if you can find it under $200. Soundstage are more than enough for gaming, some might find the bass lacking but not so to me. Yes, it is behind both the forward mids and highs but the bass to me are still strong and it shouldn't be a problem if you are a basshead. I like how it sounds but slight hisses are there. However, you can always EQ 6KHz-8KHz a little to reduce hiss. I hope this help! 

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back