Need some help ASAP with Windows XP not booting up
Jan 19, 2012 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Totally Dubbed

aka 1337 Gamer
aka totallydubbed2
aka TotallydubbedHD
Hey there!

Well at work, I was trying to put a new LG TV to connect it to the PC - via DVI to HDMI, it wouldn't work 95% of the time, and wouldn't pick it up, often when i plugged the old screen in, it wouldn't find it, thus meaning I would have to force shut-down, by holding the power button.

Now...the PC doesn't god damn boot up.

I can't get into safe mode, last known config, normal etc.
I can get into the BIOS, but I can't get past the XP logo

Any pointers on what I can do?
I don't have an XP CD on me right now, although I can get one from home if needs be

Its annoying me as I haven't changed any hardware, only thing was some darn settings on Nvidia (seriously last time I want to buy an Nvidia or use Nvidia cards, each god damn time I have problems with them)
So now the PC doesn't boot up, and I can't get past XP logo, is there any help you guys could give me?

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Check your power supply (PSU). Maybe it's time to change your PSU.

What's is your power supply (PSU)? The wattage and the producer. And your computer specification please...

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 21
Why would PSU fail at this given time?

PC doesn't auto switch off after a time, just keep restarting - I'm trying a windows repair/recovery right now _I'll keep you posted.
PC specs I'll have to check, as its a work PC, i don;t know the specs by heart

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Ok, this is a real pain/problem:

I've looked into a lot of things, and I think the HDD is corrupt = one would think, no problem just windows xp install again:
-XP doesn't get past the REPAIR section in installation of Win XP
-When I change the HDD to SATA in the bios, it gives me a blue screen
-When its config'ed as RAID/ATA rather than SATA, it gets frozen at the REPAIR XP screen.

-I'm kind of lost and don't know what else to do....any pointers would be really appreciated.

(I have taken RAM out, reset CMOS, changed SATA cable too)

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 21
Since you have BIOS access, you could make a bootable USB running Linux. Then once in Linux, you could see if the HDD is the culprit(if you can read/write to it, it's fine). Alternatively, if you know where the file(s) reside, you could replace them while in Linux.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 21
Right well an update:
-I got the HDD out, and could access it on another PC (currently backing up all data)
-I put in an XP CD, but not the one that came with the PC, which i suspect is what I need.

As:
When i put XP CD in:
-It froze
-It gave a blue screen

(depending on what HDD mode i was in)

So I need, if possible to find the OEM CD of the PC, and then I should in theory be able to go into the recovery console and/or repair windows.

Until then, the HDD is literally dead, and useless (apart from being a 2nd INT HDD)

Can't believe this all happened due to display + switching off the PC like that - i've done almost the same thing on my pc, especially when OC'ing my PC 20x + never have i experienced a corrupt HDD like that.

I guess you live and you learn

FYI, thing I tried:
-Changed ram
-Moved ram around
-Got GFX card out and plugged back in (as the PC has no standard VGA out, only the GFX card as main output source)
-Cleared CMOS
-Reset BIOS
-Put in MY VERSION of windows XP (which is the same, but no the OEM one)
-Tried to repair
-Tried to change HDD state/driver
-Changed screens
-Changed HDD cables
-Changed video output cables

Nothing worked - all but one piece of the puzzle:
Will an OEM XP disk work or not.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 21
Forcing your pc to shut down by holding the power button easily can mess up the system files since it doesn't give Windows a chance to "safely" terminate system processes. If you are having troubles with the display, you could always set the power button to shut down the computer when pressed. That way, you don't need to force the pc off.

What brand of computer are you using? I think a standard windows disk should work as an OEM disc is just a licensed copy of windows.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 21
If its giving you bsod based on hardware not on software, time to reformat, just what the other guy said, turning it off suddenly not properly/safely is one of the factors to corrupt an os,

Imo even if you restore the files again it will take a shiizload of time just to recover it back again

Next time get a usb/cd for a backup linoox, in order to grab your files. Also what hdd are you using Western digifail? failtachi? or hamsung?

hmm so are you going to connect a system running xp on a huge screen?  Win XP> LCD> 1080p HDMI?

before I encountered a problem on my hackintosh setup, It was connected to a 17" monitor. it's based on a mini itx board with onboard atom graphics, decided to plug it via sony 40" 1080p DVI, you know what happen? after it boots up when it goes to the apple logo screen, the display signal wouldn't work only the audio, it is because its not configured properly with the new display. I'm not sure if this is the case but your hdd sure failed on that one. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 21
Ok well:
-I was connecting the PC, which only has 2x DVI output to the LG 55" TV - via HDMI to DVI (could again be the cable)

Thing is though:
I would understand if I was doing thing on the PC, that mgiht have caused it to be corrupt - but why is it when it was jsut ont he desktop, not applications running etc, that it got corrupt.

I hope you see what I mean - its not like I was copying files, or installing a windows update that I force shut it down.
As I have said on my PC, as I OC and it failed a lot in the past, I had to force shut it down.

You live and you learn I guess.

Parts/ wise:
I think its a DELL PC - I'll take pictures and be back!

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 21
Happened with me many a times...just insert the xp cd and repair the windows...bcoz of improper shutdowns,somtimes some files struck/corrupts. So, that thing will solve the issue

Sent from my LG GW620 using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 21
When i insert my windows CD:
-XP freezes on REPAIR window (where you select it)
-XP gives me blue screen error = 7B one

I'll try repartitioning the drive, hopefully if it possible, JUST to see if its a HARDWARE or SOFTWARE fault

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Same thing happened to me actually.  I used to just turn of my laptop by holding the button, then it would freeze where it says "windows is starting".  I burnt Linux Mint 11 to a CD and booted from that to format the drive and now my only OS is Linux.  I recommend it if you have the time and patience.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 21

Blue screen error when on SATA config

MBO without 2 extra stick of RAM

GFX card

it is, confirmed a DELL PC, meaning I'll probably need a OEM disk.
Thing is i want to test the hardware, but can't seem to shrink nor make a new partition on the HDD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back