Need some help about Mojo and Senn HD660S
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

suzu

New Head-Fier
Hi, Im new here.
I own a Chord Mojo, and planning to buy a pair of HD660S. Is Mojo enough to drive 660s?

I also want to know about the usage of Mojo. As for it being a portable dac/amp with battery, is it good to use as desktop dac/amp with fullsize cans? The battery would run drys fast. Or use as dac/amp for phones?

Should I use USB purifier? and a good usb cable? Is a 5V 2A charger good for Mojo?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 9
I've used the Mojo with a Sennheiser HD 6XX and it sounded awful, although the HD 6XX does have double the impedance. But I would not want to use a 150ohm headphone with the Mojo either to be honest.

Volume is not the problem, refinement is. Harsher, grainier, and overall lower quality sound than a nice amp.

I've used the Mojo as a desktop DAC for a while and it's great, outperforms most older standard delta sigma DACs easily. It's a better DAC than an amp for sure though, the amp isn't awful but it's not very powerful so doesn't do justice for hard to drive headphones.

A USB purifier or digital interface is only needed if you are having issues with your USB source I think, like I was with mine. No need to spend extra on a fancy USB cable, and 5v 2A charging should be fine. The Mojo is a great device though I can't speak for its longevity since I haven't owned it for long enough.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi, Im new here.
I own a Chord Mojo, and planning to buy a pair of HD660S. Is Mojo enough to drive 660s?

I also want to know about the usage of Mojo. As for it being a portable dac/amp with battery, is it good to use as desktop dac/amp with fullsize cans? The battery would run drys fast. Or use as dac/amp for phones?

Should I use USB purifier? and a good usb cable? Is a 5V 2A charger good for Mojo?

Thanks in advance.

The mojo can't maintain its own power from a computer usb. As for power, it powers my 300Ω ZMF Auteurs very well so 660S's should be a breeze.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your replies. Have been busy that only now i can reply back.

'The mojo can't maintain its own power from a computer usb.'

I dont understand what power u mean. Is it the power to working or the power to drive headphones?

I'm currently not hear any noise listening to mojo, even with an iem, so i guess its fine.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your replies. Have been busy that only now i can reply back.

'The mojo can't maintain its own power from a computer usb.'

I dont understand what power u mean. Is it the power to working or the power to drive headphones?

I'm currently not hear any noise listening to mojo, even with an iem, so i guess its fine.

Have you tried the mojo with a pair of HD660S's yet?. I ask as I posed a similar question on the mojo thread. On that thread I was told repeatedly (backed by science) that the mojo will power any headphone up to 300Ω to the peak of their performance ability, but every where else I look the pairing reviews are very negative. My own experience with HD660S's was that my DAP (AK70 Mkii) hardly disturbed their sleep. When the AK70 was double amped via a FiiO A5 performance got a bit better, but the HD660S's only woke up and sang when run through the powerful iFi iDSD BL. So I'm a little sceptical of the mojo's ability to drive the 660S's to peak performance and the mojo accolytes real 'ear' experience over just theory

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 9
The mojo can't maintain its own power from a computer usb. As for power, it powers my 300Ω ZMF Auteurs very well so 660S's should be a breeze.

Do you have any idea about what you write here?
The Mojo is perfectly able to maintain its power from a computer, but it has two different and separate inputs for signals and power.
So you will need to use two USB-outputs from your computer, and separate USB-cables each feeding the different inputs on the Mojo.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Will I will mostly agree the 6xx’s is just awful with the Mojo. The HD-800’s is just a pleasure with the Mojo so I don’t think impedance is a problem I have no idea about the 660’s though it does well with the 700’s.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Have you tried the mojo with a pair of HD660S's yet?. I ask as I posed a similar question on the mojo thread. On that thread I was told repeatedly (backed by science) that the mojo will power any headphone up to 300Ω to the peak of their performance ability, but every where else I look the pairing reviews are very negative. My own experience with HD660S's was that my DAP (AK70 Mkii) hardly disturbed their sleep. When the AK70 was double amped via a FiiO A5 performance got a bit better, but the HD660S's only woke up and sang when run through the powerful iFi iDSD BL. So I'm a little sceptical of the mojo's ability to drive the 660S's to peak performance and the mojo accolytes real 'ear' experience over just theory

Once, I bring my mojo to local dealer, but i dont know for how many hours 660s were played, and I didnt bring my music. Cant say much of anything.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 9
The Mojo powers the HD-800’s just fine at a volume I don’t care to listen to and they will also power AKG K240 Sextett’s with no problem. Haven’t heard the 660’s from it so can’t say .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back