Need some headphones advice! (:
Dec 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Vietforlyfe

New Head-Fier
ive been looking for portable headphones for a month now, and with no luck. my budget is 150-174 CAD max. sound doesnt need to be top notch, but looks are a huge factor since im going to use it with my iTouch on the bus and subway trains. any ideas and sites i can go to?

ive been looking into the audio technica ATH-es7 but cant find a legit site. D:

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm very tempted to say the Beats Solos since you said sound quality didn't matter as much as looks.
However, I'm going to put my vote for the Sennheiser PX100. They look good and the carrying case is fantastic, but they leak sound a lot. That's not to say that the sound quality isn't good though!

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 18

sound quality not important? on head-fi? blasphemy!

there are loottsss of full sized headphones under $150 that sound pretty good. How portable do you want them? AKG makes a few on ear, igrados, etc.

For a good closed can under $100 i have, from personal experience, always suggested the equation rp=21. I bought my girlfriend a pair for her first set of full sized headphones and she gets compliments on how sweet they look all the time.
they also sell the rp-22x which is a bassier version, that my brother has (how i found out about equation)

http://www.equationaudio.com/headphones/eartools-overview.php

its all about personal preference. personally i think that wood grados look awesome, but i know people who wouldnt be seen at all with them, not to mention theyre open so it wouldnt help much on a train.

My closed cans are ultrasone pro 750's. I don't like the blue, and dont wear them in public (i go them when i was living in a dorm so ppl were loud) but some people like how they look. once again.. all preference! thats the good thing about headphones, there are so many choices!

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 18
I agree with Nihility. i was gonna say the Equation RP15MC and then i read that post.

the only Equation that fold, very comfy for carrying, i pack mine in a ATH-FC700A bag, the cable is super sturdy, that orange looks way cool and needless to say, the sound is awesome, specially for bass heads. they might bit uncomfy if your head if big. detachable cord is always welcome, only for 49$. i love mine so much that i've thinking to upgrade to either 21 or 22x (cant decide which)

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 18
i completely forgot about the portable ones! doh!

If you get either the rp-21 or rp-22x youll have to let me know how they sound vs the 15's as id like some sturdy throw in my backpack when going on a trip headphones (my only closed backs are ultrasone pro 750's atm)

the rp-21's are much more balanced, clear and punchy low mids and decent push on the low end, the highs sparkle, and they are driven decently well with no extra amp directly from a laptop or ipod.

the 22x's are much thumpier and have a different pad setup than the 21's do, which seem to improve the low end but muddy the detail a little.

basically, if you need THUMP go for the 22x and if you need anything else 21's.

i will throw this out there, mostly for fun, but beyer pads fit the bigger equations, and my brother has a set of 22x's with beyer pads that are a sweet medium between 22x stock and 21's, you get most of the low end without the muddiness

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 18
I'm going more for the 22x now, because all i read is like they were bigger rp21 (punch loud bass leads the sound) isolates very good too.

only con, the pads is not deep at all, and although the driver is well covered and its soft, it press on my ear, but this is a little complain, unless you are gonna use them for 3 hours +. i notice the "double earpads" in the 22x hoe do they work? are they soft enough not to press my ear?

the orange cups looks sweet. too bad the 22x are silver.

andi'd have in mind about the beyer, any specific model?

Vietforlyfe, you cant go wrong with the rp15, just 50$ bang for the buck without doubt. but they are "small circumaural" look for Joker's 'shootout 59 portable headphones compared' for a very good review, which made me buy them in first place.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 18
I just looked through the list and wow, that's a lot of headphones! hehe. The only problem is the availability of the headphones.

after some poking around I found these on B&H for about 98$ (AKG K81DJ)

i just wanted to know, if for 98$ Canadian, can this store be trusted? and is it worth it?

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 18
B&H can not be more of a trust worthy place.  Don't worry they are really good with there customer.  A very well know place for electronics, especially for photography.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 18
B&H? They're the most legitimate supplier of pro audio I can think of.

You might want to take a look at these as well. They're pretty much the same headphone but the blue model might strike your fancy at a lower price. Also it has a much shorter cable so u look less goofy using full size cans. k81's cable is 2.5 m (8.2 ft.)

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-518-Limited-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0028N78FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291965940&sr=1-2

Btw, if you're on noisy subways and buses, reconsider buying noise-isolating IEMs,
These AKG cans don't have enough isolation to block out track noise, so you'll end up cranking up the volume and damaging your hearing.
Etymotics are what makes the crappy ancient tracks of the NYC subway bearable.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 18
wow, thanks for the update on that. where i live, the metro system in montreal actually isn't too bad. ive been using my sony mdr-v150s and was looking for a serious upgrade. i find those headphones i barely need to up the volume too much. (maybe its cause im too used to taking the bus and metro)

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #14 of 18
Klipsch Image ONE are very good sounding headphones and they isolate well.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 18
just ordered the akg 518 from amazon, and it came up to a  total of $100.70 after shipping and import fees. should be coming in about 2 weeks. THANK YOU ALL for the help :D

and just another quick question, would an amp benefit me if i were to use these with my iTouch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back