Need some good recommendations......
Jan 16, 2007 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

riffjaff

New Head-Fier
Hi, newbie here at this forum......and I need some help quickly....

Well, I am now headphoneless since both my Creative EP-630's and Sony Fontopia EX-51's broke. I need a good pair to replace them that will last me until the end of the year until I am settled down in college.

My price range is right around $40. I really can't go higher than this by much, including shipping and handling.

I am looking for a pair of headphones with the following aspects....(Ranked from most important to least important.)

1. Sound quality....obviously
2. Price....
3. Durability.....I need a pair that can handle a decent amount of beating. I don't baby my headphones, but I don't also throw them around carelessly.
4. Isolation....Something that can isolate as well as the Sony's but anything better would be nice too. I just like the idea that people outside can't hear me and I can't hear them.

I will be using these earphones in a relatively quiet place. Mostly in my home or around school. I won't really need them for loud settings like a train or anything.

My choice of music is mostly electronica with a little hip hop and rock. I hope this is enough for you to make a quality recommendation for me. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Well, the post above was written earlier this day, and right now I have more to add.

I've done some research around the forums.....and I've found a few headphones that I like, but I need some more input..

I like the JVC Marshmallows that I have read a lot about, and the V Moda Bass Frequencys sound pretty nice too. Upon searching through ebay for some good deals, I came upon this fairly peculiar listing and my initial reaction is that it was too good to be true. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Creative-EP-6...QQcmdZViewItem

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Here, look at these:

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=859

They're $49, but if you use your $10 Head-Fi coupon, they'll be $39 and in your price range.

The sound quality is excellent- they use the same drivers as the very well-regarded Grado SR-60. Grado should match your musical preferences perfectly, as well.

I'm not sure of durability, though I find Grado's products to be well-made. Isolation isn't terribly good, though. These are open headphones and you will get some background noise in. However, if you're usually listening somewhere quiet, that won't be a problem.

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm sorry, but I should have been more clear in my post. I'm really only considering canalphones or possibly in-ear-moniters. The grados that you have recommended are great for my price range, but would really be sort of a last resort type of thing.

BTW, what is this $10 Head-Fi coupon that you speak of? That would definitely come in handy for me.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 9
It's only for Todd's site. I don't believe he carries any IEM's, although I could be wrong. I seriously doubt he carries canalphones, though. There aren't many well regarded options at your price level. You could check out the Sharp HP-MD33S's, or if you liked the EP630's, you could get a new set. Neither will be too durable.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm really leaning towards the Bass Freq's but I'm wondering about three things. First, does that bass emphasis ruin the mid and high range sound? Second, are they good for my choice in music,(mainly electronica and hip hop)? And finally, would you happen to know if the blue color of the bass freq's is the blue on the websites

32098284-2-300-overview-1.gif

or a brighter blue, almost a light blue?

Any input would be helpful, Thanks.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Bass Freqs don't really have much in the highs range, but they grasp the bass/mids pretty well. Do you particularly desire to own an iem or have you considered ksc75? 10 bucks on amazon and quite excellent all the way through the freq range. (alot of highs, percussion/acoustic guitars sound great).

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 9
I was wondering the same thing as well.....I'm hoping that the Creatives are real, cause then I can just buy those....

Sorry, MaloS, but i can't really work with the big over the head type of headphones. I've just gotten used to using earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back