Need some good old Hard Rock:
Jul 15, 2006 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Been so preoccupied with metal as of late-would like to get some good quality hard rock.
Really havent bought any rock in years, so am pretty much out of the loop.
Looking for good hard rock; no whining/emo, no 2 1/2 minute tracks-just high quality music-if it exists
blink.gif

What I still listen to and like in the genre:
Alice In Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
Queens of the Stone Age
Incubus

Havent heard any Interpol, The Strokes or for that matter-any new rock from the last 5-6 yrs.

So what are the "must have" releases since 2000?

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 33
This may be just me, but I wouldn't bother buying any Hard Rock post-2000, the quality of it is just terrible.

Stuff like The Darkness, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins is probably the last "quality" stuff IMO

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

What I still listen to and like in the genre:
Alice In Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
Queens of the Stone Age
Incubus

I like all those bands and then some...uh, you may like Chevelle, Deftones, and if you like Queens of the Stone Age try Kyuss if you haven't already.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
This may be just me, but I wouldn't bother buying any Hard Rock post-2000, the quality of it is just terrible.

Stuff like The Darkness, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins is probably the last "quality" stuff IMO

Thats what I thought.
You into the Strokes?
Whats about some good space rock/avante garde rock groups...theres gotta be something good out there thats relatively recent, no?

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 33
I don't actually listen to any of it, and as for avantegarde/space rock stuff you might be best to ask someone else, the only such band I know of is Moonlight, who are sort of the European version of Tool musically, but they've got a female singer and sing in Polish
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 33
It is often difficult for me to categorize music (in my mind there is only two kinds of music: 'good' and 'not so good').

But based on what you have said, I believe you may find a few CDs in the following list that you may enjoy.

Granted some of these groups may border on metal and prog in some people's opinions, but I feel they can just as easily fit into the 'hard rock' category.

Allen / Lande - The Battle
Deadsoul Tribe - January Tree
Freak Kitchen - Freak Kitchen
George Lynch - Furious George
Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Gotthard - Lipservice
Jeff Scott Soto - Lost In The Translation
Joe Lynn Turner - The Usual Suspects
Jorn - Out To Every Nation
Pink Cream 69 - Thunderdome
Platitude - Nine
Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
Rob Rock - Holy Hell
Royal Hunt - Eyewitness or Paper Blood
Russell Allen - Atomic Soul
Ten - Far Beyond The World
The Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified
Threshold - Subsurface
Impellitteri - Any Album

As far as the type of hard rock you might hear on the radio (IE popular stuff): I'm not very knowledgeable in that area, since I would rather eat worms than listen to the radio these days. And (as previously mentioned) most popular hard rock is crapola IMHO.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 33
Interpol and The Strokes are not what you're looking for. Both are indie pop-rock; not hard rock by any means. That's not to say that you will not enjoy them, although you may find them a little tame in comparison to the bands that you have been listening to. I'm afraid I can't really help in this genre. You could try Wolfmother's S/T which was released recently.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 33
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet? and If_then_else would also match the category I guess.

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

The Gathering - Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet? and If_then_else would also match the category I guess.

cool...
BTW-I am LOVING Katatonia-The Great Cold Distance...would like the songs to be stratched out another min. or so, but excellent nonetheless.
This is my sound; im gonna try and see them in NY-I think they are coming around in a couple of weeks.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 33
Melvins
Om
Comets On Fire
Witch
Boris
Orthodox
The Anarcticans
Bardo Pond

It's a good time for hard rock...try to keep up!

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
cool...
BTW-I am LOVING Katatonia-The Great Cold Distance...would like the songs to be stratched out another min. or so, but excellent nonetheless.
This is my sound; im gonna try and see them in NY-I think they are coming around in a couple of weeks.

I havent bothered following up with them since their early work, afterwards changed styles, their Death/Doom Metal stuff was good apart from me not liking the clean vocals
wink.gif

edit: I'll second Boris as well, they're pretty cool, I prefer their Drone/Doom stuff but the Stoner Rock side is alright as well.

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

edit: I'll second Boris as well, they're pretty cool, I prefer their Drone/Doom stuff but the Stoner Rock side is alright as well.

Boris is so different from album to album. You could call a few releases Drone/Doom

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 33
Im gonna give Chevelle a shot-although various music sites refer to it more as alt-metal rather than hard rock?
Eh, who cares-"Wonder whats next" has gotten universally good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back