Need some good old Hard Rock:
Jul 17, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 33
id have to say audioslaves self titled debut is pretty essential. also, the last 2 qotsa cd's were a good listen. incubus has gone down hill in my opinion. im also a pretty big fan of chevelle, their first cd is gritty and raw where the second is a little bit more professionally produced. disturbed's believe was pretty good as well, though thats more metal than hard rock. dream theatre is really good, though its prog rock and more experimental, listen to the "metropolis pt 2: scenes from a memory" cd most notably home and strange deja vu. the foo fighters have had some good cd's as well. check out "one by one" and the "in your honor" cd. shinedown is another band you should check out.

to recap
audioslave - audioslave
queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze
" - songs for the deaf
chevelle - this type of thinking (could do us in)
" - wonder whats next
disturbed - believe
dream theater - metropolis pt 2: scenes from a memory
foo fighters - one by one
foo fighters - in your honor
shinedown - leave a whisper

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet? and If_then_else would also match the category I guess.

I second this. The Gathering is outstanding!

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #18 of 33
I really dig: Thornley - Come Again (2004)

It's fronted by the singer from the late Big Wreck (Ian Thornley). He's really talented.

I'm also a big fan of Thrice. They're sorta Hard Rock/Metal and progressive, their sound is always maturing and changing. Definitely check them out.

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Boris is so different from album to album. You could call a few releases Drone/Doom

Indeed so, I'm more or less referring to Absolutego and Amplifier Worship, I happen to quite enjoy Heavy Rocks, but not quite so keen on latest effort Pink (a bit too much Punk Rock in there for me)

Havent heard alot of their albums though

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #20 of 33
My favorite, fairly new, rock band is Drive By Truckers. Start with "Southern Rock Opera" and their music just gets better and better after that. If there's any justice left, this group will hit it big soon.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89

to recap
audioslave - audioslave
queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze
" - songs for the deaf
chevelle - this type of thinking (could do us in)
" - wonder whats next
disturbed - believe
dream theater - metropolis pt 2: scenes from a memory
foo fighters - one by one
foo fighters - in your honor
shinedown - leave a whisper

To the original poster, I'm going to try to do you a favor and recommend staying FAR away from all this stuff. Believe it or not, there is heavy music out there with some depth....and that was not created for the soul purpose of making money or getting a guy with rockstar ambitions laid.

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 33
Shine a Light by the Constantines
Meadowlands by the Wrens

Both these albums rock out...perhaps not in the vein of extreme hard rock, but enough to get your head bobbin' and the air guitar a strummin'!

No offense, but the Foo Fighters are not essential IMHO.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 33
i'd go back even farther -- hit led zeppelin (already mentioned) and the who. truly classic hard rock.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 33
Sounds to me like you would really dig Pixies.

Check out "Doolittle". If you like it, try 'Surfer Rosa' and 'Trompe Le Monde".

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shine a Light by the Constantines
Meadowlands by the Wrens

Both these albums rock out...perhaps not in the vein of extreme hard rock, but enough to get your head bobbin' and the air guitar a strummin'!

No offense, but the Foo Fighters are not essential IMHO.

The Meadowlands is an amazing album, mandatory listening for everyone imho.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified

Oh my, that's a can of worms. I would hesitate in recommending that album to a fan of the band.

I would personally recommend Electric Sweat over A&A. Their Maximum Black EP was reissued late last year too, which is a great example of their early sound.

Some other suggestions, without going too overboard...

Old hard rock:
MC5
Blue Cheer
Deep Purple
High Tide
The Stooges
Pentagram

New hard rock:
Witch
Kyuss
C'mon
Illuminati