Need some CD player names...
Sep 29, 2001 at 2:09 AM Post #31 of 76
Todays next lesson in Hawaiian Language is the meaning of the word "okole" ...well maybe not
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the more i think about the new Sony SCDXA777ES the more angry i get...IMHO Sony made a big mistake in making it a multi-player because the price range of this unit is targeted at audiophiles which may be put off by the multi-player feature with its presumed limitations and the high price will likely put off the large majority of the mass market since they can get a very good multi player at a much lower price...

So it looks like the Marantz SA14 is the player for me or maybe like others here i should skip SACD and go with a high end CD player...damn Sony

by the way Vertigo, you still haven't told us what player you were planning on getting...

Sep 29, 2001 at 3:00 AM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

by the way Vertigo, you still haven't told us what player you were planning on getting...

If you were around during my R10 episode, you would know that you'll tend to find out what toy I'm getting in the form of a thread with some pics in it a week or two after question threads like these pop up from me...
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 3:47 AM Post #33 of 76
Ah I know.. it must be the... Sony Coconut-CD-XA-R10!

Made out of the best and most expensive wood from the south pole!

And with penguin leather on the sides for that ultra comfortable feel when lifting the player up!

Or maybe not...

Sep 29, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Ah I know.. it must be the... Sony Coconut-CD-XA-R10!

Dammit, how'd you ever guess?!?!?
mad.gif
eek.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #35 of 76
upon further checking i have found out the Sony SCDXA777ES is indeed a SINGLE disk player NOT a multi disk player as OneCall says on their web page...i think they mixed up the 775 with the 777 model so i must apologize to the mighty Sony Corp...So the 777 is back on my list...

I was also wondering about the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 which sounds like a great modded player at a decent price...

Vertigo, just in case, my previous comment on the meaning of the word okole was in reference to rats okole not that i was directing it toward you or anyone else...
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Sony made a big mistake in making it a multi-player because the price range of this unit is targeted at audiophiles which may be put off by the multi-player feature with its presumed limitations

What "presumed limitations" are those?

Seriously, in low-budget players there is an assumption that the quality isn't as good as with a single-CD unit. But in these high-quality units, which are built like tanks, what limitations?

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:08 AM Post #37 of 76
Get the Rega Jupiter! It's the best sounding CDP I've heard in a while.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:21 AM Post #38 of 76
In the $1,000 - $1,500 price range, I have auditioned DENON S10II, Marantz CD16, Musical Fidelity A3, Linn Genki etc.
Finally my choice was DENON due to its neutral sound. Marantz features a sweetened, soft sound and is a little slow. Linn has the most mellow and charming sound, but otherwise lacks neutrality. MF didn't leave me with much impression, just so-so I guess.
Rega Planet is good too, but it is in the same category as Marantz and Linn. Some people like the "musicality" of these toys, but if Vertigo wishes to build up a reference system, my recommendation is to seek neutrality, not "musicality".
And the key thing here is that if we want to hear more "objective reviews" from Vertigo, Vertigo definitely needs a neutral CDP, a CDP with the least coloration or character.
So I vote for DENON (or other neutral CDPs). And I am strongly against Rega, Marantz and Linn. Not because they are not good, but because I want to see objective reviews from Vertigo in future. If Vertigo chooses a "musical CDP", his reviews will be less reliable, IMO.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #39 of 76
MacDEF i won't pretend to fully understand design limitations of multiplayers but what i do understand is there are design compromises cd player makers deal with when designing multiplayers in the transport assembly. While the overall construction of the player may be rock solid, making a transport assembly for a multi disk player track as good as a single disk player is problematic. i asked a Sony service person if it was possible to make a multi disk transport track as well as a high end single disk transport. He said yes but the costs would be very high and with added complexity and reliability issues and he added Sony would have no interest in making such a high end multi disk transport as stable as the single disk one since the market for high end multi disk players is not there to justify it...this is why i was so shocked when i thought Sony had made the 777 a multi player...why would they go through the trouble for a market that isn't there? Well as it turns out they didn't...Of course when you look at the current crop of Sony SACD multi players its clear they are very decent players by any standard but are targeted for the more mainstream mass market. Of course you can get a lower end SACD player modded to sound as good as a high end player or even better with red book cds...time will tell if someday multi players will find a place for themselves in the high end audio arena...

Sep 29, 2001 at 9:22 AM Post #40 of 76
Alright, while I was much more surefooted about headphones, enough to go and get the R10s with bare minimum research, I'm on quicksand as far as CDPs go, so I think I'd better reveal what I'm getting to get some opinions on whether or not it's a wise choice. And if it's not a wise choice, it's not likely I'll upgrade my source anytime soon because I just happened to find what I'm considering at a very good price, which is why I'm even considering high end CDPs all of a sudden at all.

Soooooo...the player I chose/found is...

*DRUM ROLL*

The Rega Jupiter 2000.
biggrin.gif

(Those that mentioned the Jupiter, I assumed you were talking about the old Jupiter/Io combo )
tongue.gif

Alright, now hit me VERY hard with your opinions please...I need to choose yay or nay by Monday. And if it is nay, my Denon stays...but don't let that influence your opinions.
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 9:53 AM Post #41 of 76
When I look for a CD player I look for the most balanced dynamic sound across the board without digital harshness. The reason for this is because I feel the rest of your components in your chain already do enough damage as it is.
If you bought the Rega Jupiter, there is no doubt about it. You would have a good CD player. But, this is not what I would recommend for balanced sound.
I'll probably get jumped by everyone that owns all these $3000.00 to $4000.00 CD players, but I recommend CD players from companies like Adcom, Denon, and Sony ES. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2001 at 10:07 AM Post #42 of 76
Since it's now been mentioned twice, I guess I'll comment on the issue of what I feel about the "balanced sound" issue...

Basically, given my music tastes which are hardly "audiophile"-like, I believe coloration is VERY acceptable. My R10s would definitely put a stop to whatever accurate sound could have stemmed from just any of those highly accurate CDPs out there...the one that comes quickly to mind is stuff made by Krell. Certainly I don't want a midrange mess however given the rest of my system is warm, but at the same time, I should point out that ultimately, musicality is what I seek. I've lived without any sort of sibilance or harshness for a very long time now thanks to my collection of headphones which are all geared towards sweet musicality. I certainly understand the point about balanced sound, and in my current situation I would probably be better off with a slightly brighter CDP. But, I'd also probably be pretty happy and satisfied if everything just had a natural blooming sound, rather than an analytical sound.

Sep 29, 2001 at 10:29 AM Post #43 of 76
Now we are getting somewhere! After reading your last post I now recommend the Adcom GCD-750.
Accurate, dynamic, and a nice coolnest in the upper midrange. This is just my opinion. I think it would be hard to find a CD player in your price range that sucks! Good luck!

Sep 29, 2001 at 11:07 AM Post #44 of 76
Vertigo_1, you seem to have your mind set on the Jupiter. I hope when you get it you prove me wrong, and fall in love with it. It won't be the first time someone disagreed with me here. I'm sure all those Headmaster owners would like to take their headphone cords, and choke me because I think their amp is bright. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2001 at 11:22 AM Post #45 of 76
Vertigo,

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/heartcd6000_e.html

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait, didn't notice you were thinking about the Jupiter. I own the Planet absolute killer CD player. The only bad thing I find about the unit is its design.

The little circular external disc above the drive spins when a CD is playing. If you're one who likes to stack components on top of each other then you're out of luck!

Also, Rega now have their entire range available in Silver so you have a choice of Black/Silve now.

Also if you're buying a Jupiter make sure you get the Solar Wand remote. It's great!
wink.gif

PS: Rega gear comes with sorobothane feet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back