Need some CD player names...
Sep 30, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #61 of 76
I think the reasoning of the Sony service person i talked to is basically: the market for multi players is mainly toward mass market. He did say it was possible to make a transport assembly that could match a top line single player but because of the lack of market demand for high end multi players they don't put the effort into such not that it can't be done or not that it can't be done reliably. i should point out i talked to the guy before the advent of SACD. I wouldn't doub't the current multi players and single players for that matter are indeed very good and getting better and better with all the improvements in technology and i would bet there will be better sounding SACD players than the SACD-1 soon if not already all at much lower prices...i can see the term high end has a grey area and is difficult to determine where high end starts or its exact meaning for that matter... i will point out that i was expressing my opinion regarding Sonys "mistake" at making the 777 a multi player (which i realize now its not) and i still feel it would be a mistake to market a $3000.00 SACD multi player at this time...thats my opinion...

Sep 30, 2001 at 1:13 PM Post #62 of 76
I did some further research on the Arcam CD23 FMJ...definitely another serious consideration for me I'd say. What's people's thoughts on this one?

Sep 30, 2001 at 2:08 PM Post #63 of 76
That's funny! I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about your situation. And, there is almost no CD player he hasn't heard. I told him your price range, and he recommended my CD player. Said, "the Adcom could be bright'.
On the other hand, he said, "the only CD player I would even think about buying before the CD transports, and seperate DACs would be the Arcam FMJ CD23."
Other CD players in the conversation were California Audio Labs CL-15, Meridian 508-24, Audio Research CD2, Rega Jupiter, and Planet.
I also told him that you are prone to upgrading. He said, " I hope he plans on spending a lot, and I mean a lot more money for a very small marginal improvement." Good luck!

Sep 30, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

Quite frankly, I'm pretty confident that CD players like the Jupiter 2000 or the Cary 303 will smoke SACD players in the same price region, if not higher, for CD playback

I wouldn't disagree with this. I also want to say that obviously I respect everyone's individual component choices. At the $1K level, there are a number of strong contenders.

That said, I would put the SCD-333 up against any $400 (the 333's current street price) CD player for Redbook playback. It will win hands down. Does it compete with $1200 players (unit's original price)? IMHO, it's about average at that price point, which is still pretty damn good, when you think about it. In my review, I noted some definite reservations about the 333 in CD mode. There are better choices if you are only interested in CDs, I wouldn't deny that.

Fortuately, you can easily have your unit mod-ed to improve analog performance (I've also added a new clock to enhance digital). My unit with mods will cost me $950 total. This will provide me with a unit that has both world-class digital AND analog sections, something other $1000 players are hard-pressed to match. (Yeah, I'm assuming my forthcoming mod-ed unit will sound better than stock, sound unheard.)

Anyway, enough from me! Those were my considerations a couple weeks ago when i was contemplating a similar purchase in a similar price range. Cheers Vertigo!

markl

Sep 30, 2001 at 8:27 PM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

That said, I would put the SCD-333 up against any $400 (the 333's current street price) CD player for Redbook playback.

Well, as I've said before, one reason I eventually bought the 333ES is that its redbook playback is supposedly comparable to the MF A3CD and the Planet 2000. Considering those cost around $900-$1000, while the 333ES ended up being <$400, plus it's a Class A performer in SACD, there's no comparison.

Oct 1, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #67 of 76
I'd suggest to get a properly & thoroughly modded Marantz CD6000OSE - should do the same job for half the price...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #68 of 76
Vertigo - I have the Arcam FMJ CD23 and I love it. It's a great player, not unattractive, and is very well built to boot - I opened it up of course, but I don't think there is any need to tweak an analog section with AD825s. I can't recommend strongly enough that you hear one of these before buying anything else. One thing I have heard said, although can't really confirm it with my own listening, is that it should be turned on for a few hours before playing.
(Again, the Alpha 9 uses the same digital/analog section, the FMJ model just has better power supply, case, and I think transport.)

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:36 PM Post #69 of 76
I'll put in a plug for the Cary 303. Cary is coming out with the 303/200 which has the new Microsoft MicroPacific(?) 200 digital filter. You should be able to find a new older model for close to your $1500 price point. If you're interested I recommend contacting Kevin at upscaleaudio.com. He's a reliable dealer and has offered good prices on the Cary cdp.

Bob

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #70 of 76
Alright, I need some finalizing help here...I have a deal going on for a used Sony SCD-333ES, because I'm still very reluctant to spend over $500 for a CDP...not because it'd break my bank account, but because I still have not CLEARLY heard a difference between CD and MP3 playback. I currently use my Denon more out of convience than anything. With that all said, SHOULD I be getting a $1000+ CDP? Quite simply, I'm one of those people that will be satisfied with just about any source, as long as the output end shapes the sound appropriately. Of course by now I'm in the stages of perfecting my system, so I have nothing else to really upgrade but my source.

So...SCD-333? Or Rega Jupiter 2000? Or Arcam CD23 FMJ?

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #72 of 76
If I got a 333 and still didn't hear a BIG difference between CDs and MP3s, I definitely wouldn't even think about going any further. That'd be it for me...I give up on sources after that.

Oct 2, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

I have a deal going on for a used Sony SCD-333ES, because I'm still very reluctant to spend over $500 for a CDP

Vert, given that, go for the used 333ES. Besides being a great CDP (*especially* for the price), you'll be able to figure out whether or not you really want to do an end-all upgrade in the future
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #74 of 76
Alright, I've finally decided...to upgrade to umm, something.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for everybody's input!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back